FDX10 Delta IV - Ping??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

joeeagle

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi.

Second post here. been diving awhle but just got back into it after 8 years away. just got all new equipment including the FDX10 plus Delta IV (with Swivel). just went on a dive trip to Turks and on dive 21 or 22 i started to hear a "ping" after i got down to about 1600 lbs. it could be heard, sometimes, at the end of an inhilation. very slight noise, like someone taking a knife and taping an empty cylinder. nope, it wasnt a dive ladder or anyone else's reg.

since this is a brand new reg from a reputable dive shop (and its a weekend so i cannot call Oceanic) i thought i would solicit comments here.

any suggestions what it is? i'll be going into the DS wednesday beause my old BCD which was serviced by the DS failed on the last dive. not holding them responsible but a little disappointed that they missed the impending failure...but hey, it WAS an old BDC!!

your kind thoughts are welcome.

joe

.....it's very likely related to the DVT 'technology' that Oceanic has on some of their regs...it's a spring loaded plug located just inside the 1st-stage inlet where the reg attaches to the tank...it's designed to keep water from entering the 1st-stage when the reg isn't attached to a tank...the plug is only open when the reg is attached to a tank and pressurized...however, there are MANY reports of this 'device' causing the sounds you report, as the plug open and closes while breathing...also, I've personally dove with other divers using such DVT-equipped tanks and I've heard that same sound underwater from their regs....it's rather annoying, and I wouldn't dive such a reg....which is a shame, as the theory behind the device seems to be a good/useful one.

.....it's very likely related to the DVT 'technology' that Oceanic has on some of their regs...it's a spring loaded plug located just inside the 1st-stage inlet where the reg attaches to the tank...it's designed to keep water from entering the 1st-stage when the reg isn't attached to a tank...the plug is only open when the reg is attached to a tank and pressurized...however, there are MANY reports of this 'device' causing the sounds you report, as the plug open and closes while breathing...also, I've personally dove with other divers using such DVT-equipped tanks and I've heard that same sound underwater from their regs....it's rather annoying, and I wouldn't dive such a reg....which is a shame, as the theory behind the device seems to be a good/useful one.

Thanks for the reply. are you saying that it is more than annoying? i don't understand why it started after 20 plus dives. that is what is not making sense to me (hey, amoung other things!).

Cheers

Joe

......there are quite a few threads here on this 'problem'...with numerous failure modes...some regs act up new-in-the-box...some after some hours of operation...some act up the entire dive...some act up at certain 'psi's'. I'm not a reg tech, so I have no idea if this 'problem' is just annoying, or potentially fatal. Personally, I take pride in my gear and won't dive gear that's noisy/rusted/leaking bubbles....so me, scuba gear that's making distress noises REALLY gets on my nerves, I worry about possible impending failure, and can't enjoy my expensive dive trip...so I don't tolerate it. Again, I don't claim to know if the 'noise' will always remain annoying but harmless, or if it could possibly lead to a potentially fatal break-down. For what it's worth, I've not heard of any fatalities relating to DVT failures...but this is a fairly new technology and most of the regs out there with DVT haven't been dove enough hours yo know the long term durability of DVT technology.

...if I were you, I'd post this thread over on the manufacturers' Oceanic forum and see what the Oceanic people say.

Karl

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

2 Threads merged
No double posting please
Thank you

......there are quite a few threads here on this 'problem'...with numerous failure modes...some regs act up new-in-the-box...some after some hours of operation...some act up the entire dive...some act up at certain 'psi's'. I'm not a reg tech, so I have no idea if this 'problem' is just annoying, or potentially fatal. Personally, I take pride in my gear and won't dive gear that's noisy/rusted/leaking bubbles....so me, scuba gear that's making distress noises REALLY gets on my nerves, I worry about possible impending failure, and can't enjoy my expensive dive trip...so I don't tolerate it. Again, I don't claim to know if the 'noise' will always remain annoying but harmless, or if it could possibly lead to a potentially fatal break-down. For what it's worth, I've not heard of any fatalities relating to DVT failures...but this is a fairly new technology and most of the regs out there with DVT haven't been dove enough hours yo know the long term durability of DVT technology.

...if I were you, I'd post this thread over on the manufacturers' Oceanic forum and see what the Oceanic people say.

Karl

Karl:

I did just that. we'll see what they say.

wait, i thought that THIS was the Oceanic Forum??

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

2 Threads merged
No double posting please
Thank you

Mr Moderator.

i thought that i had posted this on the Oceanic forum. if i posted it in 2 places, my appologies.

cheers

Hi

After 20 dives I have the same problem with my FDX10, any news from oceanic how to resolve this problem?

Thanks

joeagle -- Mine does the same thing. It did not start happening until my 2nd dive trip. VERY annoying. Took mine into the shop to have the tech look at it. If you receive an answer from Oceanic tech support, would you mind posting it here?

My hubby has the exact same reg and he doesn't have this problem. I would hate to have to downgrade from the FDX, but that could be an alternate solution, if this is a recurring problem..

Doug: Can the DVT be removed? (by an authorized tech, of course)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom