Favorite part of a dive trip...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jepuskar

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Of course its the diving, but what part of the diving makes it fun for you? Is it the gearing up before the dive, right before you submerge, or is it during the dive, talking about it with your dive buddy afterwards...etc?

We all have a favorite part!

I would say my favorite part is at the beginning of the dive trip. Doing those first few dives, thousand of miles away from home, thinking about what your 'normal' day would consist of. That is just soo cool to me!

What about you?

Jason

tough question..perhaps its the first dive..decending down...knowing there is a lot of diving ahead...nothing else but diving...and more diving. Or perhaps its seeing something really cool underwater..and your buddy sees it too...and you just look at each other and know how amazing it is to be in a place you are not really supposed to be ... and just taking it all in.

Finding something I have never seen before......

A big part of the enjoyment comes in the planning and in the thoughts about a place I've never been, in the imagination of what will be seen and experienced. For me these are things that are shared that also make it exciting. My wife has been my buddy for many years and it is fun to recall old dives and dive trips. Yet the meat of the enjoyment comes from being on a dive surrounded by wildlife very few will ever see, the enjoyment of Creation, the enjoyment of being a part of existence in a blue world full of wonder. Seeing pelagics and seeing the macro-ness of the reef and it's surroundings.

Before we go:
I love planning the trip. Researching different destinations. Deciding on where we will go. Researching the hotels, local restaurants, dive ops & dive sites. I spend hours gathering info.

I enjoy every part of the vacation. The beach, pool, restaurants, sightseeing & the diving. Even when things go wrong. ( makes a great story, eventually. lol ) But...
My favorite part is the actual dive. A close second is discussing the dive afterwards.

all of it.... all of it.... I love it all...

If I am forced to choose, it would be the dives on day 2, 3, 4. Day one is always too much excitement and tension for me to truly relax underwater, and the end dives I'm usually getting grumpy about leaving. So the middle is the best.
I also love the planning bit - talking in advacne about what I plan to do-but then the waiting bit sucks :(

I agree munk - the only thing better than the trip is the planning of the trip. But then the anticipation stage sets in between completion of planning and start of the trip.

Any day away from work . . . and we have yet to be called back to work if an emergency arises while we're on a dive trip - too hard to reach us - works great!

That first beer with my traditional cheeseburger in paradise at lunch following a morning of great diving. Ahhhhhh!

2 favorite parts of the dive:

1. When my buddy finds something terribly cool and points it out to me, or I to him.
2. When we end the dive exactly where we planned to--on anchor line, in front of boat, etc. (sometimes!!)

theskull

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom