Favorite Night Diving Tank Light?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A glowstick.

30 packs are $10 on amazon....

So $0.33 a dive or I can buy one of the water activated for $12.00 and its good for 500 hours of use and I don't generate the waste of the single use glowsticks or have the 1-4 year shelf life of a glowstick.

So $0.33 a dive or I can buy one of the water activated for $12.00 and its good for 500 hours of use and I don't generate the waste of the single use glowsticks or have the 1-4 year shelf life of a glowstick.

Well, if somebody does 100 night dives per year, you might have a point. Buy what do you do with the dead light batteries? Did you fly commercial to your destination? Did your light come from china? On a boat or in the air? Is the flashing light mfg factory powered by coal or solar??

While I do see the plastic angle, this could really get into the weeds......

My tank light died on my trip, but my buddy was able to locate and identify me by the green glow of my Teric, even when I covered my primary light to escape the blood worms. So clearly everyone should stop futzing around with $12 tank lights and $0.33 glow sticks and just buy a $1000 dive computer like I did. ;-)

Well, if somebody does 100 night dives per year, you might have a point. Buy what do you do with the dead light batteries? Did you fly commercial to your destination? Did your light come from china? On a boat or in the air? Is the flashing light mfg factory powered by coal or solar??

Well, I suppose it is getting into the weeds, but how you traveled to the destination and how much the manufacturing process may impact the environment are factors that are arguably similar regardless of whether it is a battery-operated light or chemical glowstick that was manufactured. What is NOT similar is the amount of plastic that is likely to end up in the environment. It is my understanding that in a landfill alkaline batteries will "soon" (5 years? 10 years?) decompose without much impact, while plastic may take hundreds of years and may get into the food chain. Rechargeable lithium batteries may be better than plastic. Also, divers may be more easily persuaded to take their dead alkaline batteries with them when they leave for home; fewer are likely to take used glowsticks home. After a week at some tropical island, you might have one dead alkaline battery from that marker light as opposed to five dead glowsticks.

Yes, weeds.

Have you visited any lithium mining operations?

This discussion reminds me of friends who refuse to use paper plates, but will blissfully run a gallon of water to wash one dish.....

Big picture.

No chem light sticks in Bonaire, period.

Some dive ops don't allow them because they believe they may end up as plastic waste in the ocean or landfill.
Some * countries* do not allow them...reason not given nor required.

Some * countries* do not allow them...reason not given nor required.

Yes. It's been so long since I used a glowstick that I can't even remember whose requirement it was that made me change my ways. In Bonaire, I suppose it's STINAPA, the marine park authority.

These flash. Really irritating to be near another diver with a flashing light on him/her.

Bet you could attract a lot of tarpon in Bonaire with that.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom