favorite movies (not necessarily dive related)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The fact that the Bourne movies aren't faithful to Ludlum is a compliment, not a criticism. They are better. But even if you like the Ludlum versions, they are too intricately plotted for a two-hour movie. I would rate the Bourne trilogy as the best. The Bourne Legacy, by the way, is not nearly as good as the Matt Damon Bournes, but it's not bad.

I am a big fan of the Christian Bale Batman movies, but I haven't seen the third one yet. Even if it's as good as people say, I will still give Bourne the edge.

What about the Godfather trilogy? The first two movies are among the best ever—both in my top ten all-time. Maybe that's enough to atone for III?

If you count the Avengers as the third installment of the Ironman movies, the trio would have to rate pretty high.

---------- Post Merged at 08:20 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 08:13 PM ----------

These are my favourite movies but not in a specific order:

• Seven Pounds
  • A walk to remember
  • The pursuit of happiness
  • The Vow
I'm surprised Spamalot isn't on your list.

Not an exhaustive list but these seemed to have influenced the way I watch and think about movies:

Manhattan (Woody in his prime)
Do the Right Thing (changed how I watched movies)
Momento (ground breaking)
Terminator (smart sci fi)
True Romance (C. Walken and D. Hopper kill it)
Apocalypse Now (Vietnam War movies are big for me)
Full Metal Jacket (Kubrick applies art to war)
Raiders of the Lost Ark (smart action)
Star Wars IV, V, VI (by the time Episode VI came out I was old enough to go to the movies on my own and I went to see Jedi once a week for the whole summer)
Stripes and Caddyshack (the first two movies I memorized due to watching them each over and over again at a friend's house)
Life of Brian (college version of Stripes and Caddyshack)
The Adventures of Buckaroo Banzai Across the Eighth Dimension
Road Warrior (gotta love Humongous and the guy with the chaps)

Godfather (I & II)
Caddyshack & Stripes
Apocalypse Now
Star Wars (IV, V, and VI, also my vote for best trilogy)
The Shining
A Clockwork Orange
Platoon
Silence of the Lambs
Forrest Gump
Fargo
Reservoir Dogs
A couple from my childhood-101 Dalmatians (yes, I now know the impact that had on Dals but it's still one of my favorites) and Jungle Book.

All-time favorites:

Lilies of the Field
King of Hearts
Zorba the Greek
McCabe and Mrs. Miller (this movie turned me on to Leonard Cohen, too)

Two that aren't by any means art, but that I have and can watch over and over again:

Pretty Woman
Romancing the Stone

A couple of sleepers:

Nice Guys Sleep Alone
The Dish (this is a very good movie based on a true story, and very bitter-sweet)

The Outlaw Josey Wales (one of the best lines ever..."Dyin' ain't much of a livin', boy.")

Legends of the Fall

Grand Torino

Bourne (series)

Stargate (good sci-fi, but even better concept)

Serenity

Jaws

As a variation on this theme, I had a good argument with some friends about the greatest trilogy of all times. I thought that more recent Batman trilogy probably just about shades it ahead of other classics like Indiana Jones, Star Wars, Lord of the Rings, Bourne, etc.

Interesting twist. Let me think about it.

---------- Post Merged at 10:28 AM ---------- Previous Post was at 10:23 AM ----------

Not an exhaustive list but these seemed to have influenced the way I watch and think about movies:

Manhattan (Woody in his prime)
Do the Right Thing (changed how I watched movies)
Momento (ground breaking)
Terminator (smart sci fi)
True Romance (C. Walken and D. Hopper kill it)
Apocalypse Now (Vietnam War movies are big for me)
Full Metal Jacket (Kubrick applies art to war)
Raiders of the Lost Ark (smart action)
Star Wars IV, V, VI (by the time Episode VI came out I was old enough to go to the movies on my own and I went to see Jedi once a week for the whole summer)
Stripes and Caddyshack (the first two movies I memorized due to watching them each over and over again at a friend's house)
Life of Brian (college version of Stripes and Caddyshack)
The Adventures of Buckaroo Banzai Across the Eighth Dimension
Road Warrior (gotta love Humongous and the guy with the chaps)

Buckaroo Banzai?? Wow I haven't seen that in ages. I'm surprised you didn't add the Ice Pirates to you list.

---------- Post Merged at 10:32 AM ---------- Previous Post was at 10:23 AM ----------

All-time favorites:

Lilies of the Field
King of Hearts
Zorba the Greek
McCabe and Mrs. Miller (this movie turned me on to Leonard Cohen, too)

Two that aren't by any means art, but that I have and can watch over and over again:

Pretty Woman
Romancing the Stone

A couple of sleepers:

Nice Guys Sleep Alone
The Dish (this is a very good movie based on a true story, and very bitter-sweet)

This is your first ever post that where you've lost me. I haven't see any of those except for Romancing the Stone.

Avater
Sanctum
The King's Speech
Top Gun
South Pacific
Captain Ron
Dirty Dancing
Ghost

To name a few

Oh, I forgot Top Gun . . . I can watch that one over and over, too. The main characters are sooo sexy, even when Tom Cruise is flying them . . . :D

This is your first ever post that where you've lost me. I haven't see any of those except for Romancing the Stone.

Gives you a whole bunch of movies to go out and rent then, doesn't it? (That's what I'm seeing in this thread!)

Just off the top of my head (and in no specific order):

1. The Lover
2. Morgan
3. The Kingdom of Heaven
4. On The Beach
5. Bridge on the River Kwai

The only one of my favorites I did not see mentioned so far it The Hurt Locker.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom