Favorite Memories from the SB Invasion 2023 Roatan

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hello from Iowa! My family and I were one of the few non-ScubaBoard guests at the resort last week. We got to meet so many of you and enjoyed chatting with you during the week. Hopefully we will be able to join you as official ScubaBoard travelers in the future!
-Kristen
Hi Kristen, it was our pleasure to meet you and your family. We loved to talking to the junior divers you are growing.
Hope to see you at a Future event, we love families to attend.

Here is the first edit of my Shark Dive Video from Thursdays Shark dive.

Many thanks to Shearwater Research for making Patrick a very happy diver!!

Attachments

• IMG_5517.jpeg
    IMG_5517.jpeg
    104.2 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_5520.jpeg
    IMG_5520.jpeg
    98.1 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_5593.jpeg
    IMG_5593.jpeg
    95.4 KB · Views: 60
  • IMG_5595.jpeg
    IMG_5595.jpeg
    65.6 KB · Views: 58
@WarrenZ that shark vid is great! Love the diver who got buzzed a couple times by the sharks and started flailing. Exactly what I would have done!

This was my first time meeting anyone from SB (besides Dianne of course) and I had a mental image that members would be a bunch of grungy divers with unkept beards, thick spectacles, and flashy dive computers. So when I first walked into Registration at AKR and saw how upscale the place was, I was totally caught off guard as the decor and staff were really high end resort feeling - no signs of unwashed scuba diver anywhere!

But it didn't take long before I started seeing the familiar signs - people sneaking beers in from "off property", baby shampoo instead of branded anti-fog, the small time grey market dealer making the rounds at the breakfast table. In the end, you all didn't disappoint! :rofl3:

Really though Dianne and I both had such a great time. AKR was super and I can see why it was picked as the venue. In hindsight there was likely some really thoughtful dive site selection as there was some great variety in the dives as the days progressed. We started out reef exploring, then dives on the wall, then wrecks, then canyons, swim throughs, sandy macro areas, a grassy area, a huge fish ball. This was an experience that I think somebody wouldn't get if they just showed up on Roatan and started diving at one of the shops on the strip.

There were also things above water that I really enjoyed. The "event itinerary" that @cardzard and @ROXANNE put together was totally unexpected. "You mean this trip comes with entertainment included too???".

There were games, sponsors giving away cool toys I hadn't seen before like the gopro macro lens from Backscatter and dive computers from Shearwater that buzz instead of beep. A big party night where the sand flies got "all you can eat". And of course fun times at the pool / HH with SB members that were so warm and welcoming, like a big family vacation. I definitely got a couple diving tips that I would never have figured out on my own.

All in all a fun trip, it was great meeting you all!

PS. Picaradin does not work for sand flies
SR100710.jpg
SR101079.jpg
SR100999.jpg
SR100949.jpg
SR100856.jpg

PS. Picaradin does not work for sand flies
A Star Trek force field powered by an antimatter fusion reactor couldn't keep sand flies off my legs.

But what does work to keep sand flies off is sitting next to RobPNW.

Glass half full- I felt zero itching in the water :cool:
I noticed that too.
Either the itching stopped in the salt water, or the great diving so distracted me that I forgot about scratching for an hour or so... either way, relief.
Last night that last bite on my back stopped irritating me, and only 2 bites on the inside of my elbow are still red and itching.
DEET did nothing to keep those airborne piranhas at bay.

Back
Top Bottom