Favorite Dry Glove System?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

brrrandi

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I'm considering buying my first drysuit, a BARE SB. And, I need to trick it out. What are your opinions on dry gloves? I know virtually nothing about them since I've never dove any dry glove (for my three drysuit dives in rentals, I used neoprene gloves).

Thanks in advance for your comments.

Get replaceable wrist and neck seals on it using the Si-Tech system. That means Si-Tech dry gloves. You have a choice of three different rings. I switched to the ovals, but am not 100% sold on them. The standard Quick glove works pretty good once the o-rings are swapped for smaller ones.

Thanks for the advice. I need to figure out about these rings. They seem to make things easier, I understand.

I use the si tech qcp system. Works with the si tech wrist seals. It is very easy to put on and more importantly its easy to get the gloves off after a dive. The connection is positive so they won't pop off from air pressure in the suit. Only down side (depending on how you look at it) the wrist wrings are large in diameter. I find this is a plus because its easier to get the wrist seals on and off and I can get my big hands through them better.

I should have mentioned get silicon wrist and neck seals too. You can get a backup set of latex as they are for when a seal fails, and at the most in opportune time they will fail. Having spares will allow you to get into the water within a few minutes. They should be around $70 or so for a set of latex seals.

Gloves are a personal choice, but no matter what type get removable liners. I would also recommend getting a spare set of gloves and liners. I like the blue gloves by Atlas part number 495. Atlas Glove, Cold Resistant, Insulated PVC, Removable Liner, 495 I think I paid closer to $15 a pair last time and bought six pairs of which my friends bought four pair off me. Saves on shipping that way. The LDS's seem to charge around $32 for the same thing.

Others prefer the marigold orange colored sets, but they are not as tough as the blue pair. The benefit is they are more dexterous, although not by much.

Fit is important, and I find most folks think they need looser gloves that are easier to take on and off. The reality is those are also the same people complaining about dexterity. The liners should pull on fairly quickly, but the gloves should take just a little work. Your finger tips need to go all the way to the ends with no extra room around them. The glove doesn't have to go all the way into the V of your fingers. The extra air space there will just keep your hands warmer.

Allowing air into the gloves makes a big difference. Being able to put your hand up in the water and let a little air in from your suit is a definite warming effect. Many do it with straws, but my preference is to use my thumb loop from my undergarments, as I can then pull it back out should my glove start leaking. I have had to do this twice now. I can say a wet dry glove is warmer than a wet wet glove. I got caught once by a fisherman, and feared the hook so in a split second I grabbed the monofilament and ripped it between my hands to break it. The line sliced a small hole in my glove. By filling my arm with air I was able to pull my undergarment back which removed the 1/8" of thumb loop I had sticking through the seal. I was able to finish the hour long dive with only a cold hand.

What is your height and weight? That will help determine which rings to get and approximately what glove size.

Great advice. Thanks so much. Could anyone comment on the latex versus silicone versus neoprene seal options a bit more? I need to do so much more research (whew!)

Neoprene is non changeable in the field and can not be easily used with dry gloves. The rings destroy the seals is what I understand. Neoprene is warmer, and many use(d) them due to latex allergies. Many also find the neoprene leaks more than other types of seals. Silicon is far more comfortable than latex, and has more stretch to them. Silicon can not be glued onto a suit so it requires a ring system of some kind to allow use. Silicon should in theory last longer than latex if not stretched harshly and is treated gently. Latex absorbs oils and can fail fairly quickly depending on care and usage, along with body oils, ozone, etc.

Today, silicon is all the rage.

Ditto Peter_C above.

Oh, and a little K-Y jelly goes a long way to preventing a chafing seal especially around the neck, not to mention a little embarrassment when you hand the tube to your 19 yo son and tell him to put some on his head :blush:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom