Favorite dive sites in Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dyin-To-Dive

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I'm heading to Cozumel in late June and I'm thinking of using either Divepalancar or Scuba Tony. Either way, I don't want to waste any time diving the "typical tourist" sites. I only have 2 days of diving lined up and don't know where the best dives sites are.

I know I can just ask the dive services, but I trust the members of this board more than than someone who charges for advice.

Can anyone recommend a few?

Almost all of the dive sites in Cozumel are "typical tourist sites" and they're all good. Seriously, I have many, many logged dives in Cozumel and am happy to go to any dive sites the people on my boat want to go to. And if your dive count is accurate you're going to be amazed at the diving in Coz. Really, they're all good. Have a great trip!

First, I must confess that I've only dived Cozumel once, and I probably only went on the "typical tourist sites" you refer to.

That said, I really loved Cathedral in Punta Sur. Beautiful coral heads towering above you. That dive really stood out to me.

Nearby Devil's Throat -- a common request -- is pretty cool, too, so long as your buoyancy is decent and you think you'll be okay in an overhead environment that goes down to 130'. But it's pretty much just a swimthrough; it's not as breathtaking as Cathedral, in my opinion.

If you go further north (in or near the Barracuda area), the currents get much stronger, but you can be treated to schools of eagle rays. It's definitely worth it if conditions permit. My dive buddies and I, for instance, didn't experience any exceptionally difficult currents. But it seems like the downcurrents can get pretty gruesome: A couple days earlier, a few people at our resort were pulled down to 160' in some of them!

I'm heading to Cozumel in late June and I'm thinking of using either Divepalancar or Scuba Tony. Either way, I don't want to waste any time diving the "typical tourist" sites. I only have 2 days of diving lined up and don't know where the best dives sites are.

I know I can just ask the dive services, but I trust the members of this board more than than someone who charges for advice.

Can anyone recommend a few?

Thanks for the input. I'm sure all of the diving there is amazing. I just didn't know of any sites that are off the beaten path. I appreciate the help guys.

Just got back from there where I dove with BlueXTSea Diving. We had two great drift dives at Santa Rosa and Cedar Grove. There was a 5-knot drift dive that my instructor and I wanted to do, but the other couple on the boat was afraid so we didn't push them. We're going back in August and will get that dive or else. Sorry, don't know the name of it. Miguel, the divemaster, was terrific and at the end of the second dive gave me a terrific experience when he called me over and had me lie next to a manta ray and he took my camera.

262sm.jpg

First, I must confess that I've only dived Cozumel once, and I probably only went on the "typical tourist sites" you refer to.

That said, I really loved Cathedral in Punta Sur. Beautiful coral heads towering above you. That dive really stood out to me.

Nearby Devil's Throat -- a common request -- is pretty cool, too, so long as your buoyancy is decent and you think you'll be okay in an overhead environment that goes down to 130'. But it's pretty much just a swimthrough; it's not as breathtaking as Cathedral, in my opinion.

If you go further north (in or near the Barracuda area), the currents get much stronger, but you can be treated to schools of eagle rays. It's definitely worth it if conditions permit. My dive buddies and I, for instance, didn't experience any exceptionally difficult currents. But it seems like the downcurrents can get pretty gruesome: A couple days earlier, a few people at our resort were pulled down to 160' in some of them!

LOL, you described 3 of the most non-toursity dive sites at Cozumel, the only one you left out was Maricibo. LOL

All 3 of those sites are considered advanced dives. If a guy like newdiver777 ends up at any one of them he'll be very lucky, (or maybe unlucky) cause he will have to show some real substantial dive skills to be allowed to dive them, or he's diving with a really reckless dive op.

Newdiver777 - Cozumel's one of the most consistant above average dive site destinations you can go to. You having never been there and only being there for 2 days, it's really limiting what you will be able to do and see, however unless your dive op keeps taking you to the C-53 wreck for 4 dives in a row over 2 days, you will have little chance of having a bad dive experience.

The dive profile Cozumel dive ops use there is a deep 1st dive which is almost always multi-level and then after a surface interval a shallower 2nd dive. That's pretty much the dive experience day in and day out. The 1st deep dive usually shows you some spectacular formations and the 2nd shallower dive usually shows you some great sea life.

You'll have a blast. Pick a high quality dive op for the most bang for your buck, cheap dive ops will work against you making the most of your time.

hello from Cozumel

This is day 15 of a 16 day trip and i've made over 200 dives here in the last 6 years. I dive with Aldora Divers when visiting here, they use steel HP 120's and almost always have over 1 hour bottom times. As previously stated, you will love most anywhere they throw you off the boat. Devil's Throat is a popular site, but not worth the hype in my opinion. I've only done it once and unless it's a really experienced group on the boat (that has been diving for a few days with the op) any dive op worth it's salt will steer clear of it, after they see your level of ability they may decide to try it on day 2 if the rest of the boat is also of similar experience and ability. There is little room for error as it is tight quarters until you come out - at 130ish!
That being said, there are dozens of great sites that you will enjoy and a 2 day trip is just enough to make you want a 2 WEEK trip here.

Aldora does a multi-level deep dive first (as is normal) then goes to a beach club for an 1.5 hour SI (this is due to long bottom times during dives) then chooses a shallower site for the second one, also standard procedure.

My depression is worsening as tomorrow is my last day of diving and then it's back to the real world... yuck ! BUT I'M WORKING ON A 3 WEEK TRIP HERE FOR SEPTEMBER... HOPEFULLY IT WILL WORK..

Yeah, even if you go on touristy dives on your first (and short) time in Cozumel, you really cannot go wrong. You will love it and will want to go back.

I've been to Cozumel diving five times (or so). My favorite dives have always been the last one. I wouldn't worry. As long as you're underwater, you'll love it.

Back
Top Bottom