Favorite dive sites Ambergris Caye

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

diverdantx

Registered
Reaction score
Let me know your Favorite dive sits. I know this subject to personnel preference. But we will be going in June and would like to make sure I hit all the best sites. Staying 7 days. What spots have the best photo and big animal sighting chances?
Thanks all

love tunnels, Christ of the abyss, Esmeralda, Hol chan, Victoria Canyon, plus there are many many more. You might want to do the Blue hole trip which includes, Half moon Caye and the aquarium they are both wall dives that are spectacular.
Have fun and dive safe

We dove with Ecologic in early November 2006. We didn't do any of the long distance dives (Blue Hole, etc) but on just about every local dive we saw turtles, nurse sharks and some pretty large spotted eagle rays. We also saw several good size black tip sharks during the week. We didn't see any whale sharks or anything like that. Not sure if they are ever in the vicinity of Ambergris.

The reef out front of San Pedro has excellent macro opportunities.

My faves are Hol Chan Cut, Pillar Coral and Eagle Ray Canyon. VERY cool dives! :D

I was in Belize in November and Hol Chan was pretty cool. Lots of rays, nurse sharks, and green morays. I want to go back!

I did many dives, and one that I remember as really cool was Mata Canyons. About 60 feet. Really cool landscape and I saw a Loggerhead turtle there.

Do what I did and sit through some timeshare meetings. Nod your head, act interested, and get free stuff. I got two free snorkel trips out of it.:eyebrow:

For photography, you'll find lots of nurse sharks at Esmeralda dive site right in front of town. Your best chance of seeing "real" sharks is at Pillar Corals and Eagle Ray Canyons outside the reef at Hol Chan (not inside where most divers go). Your chances improve late in the afternoon. You may see spotted Eagle Rays and Turtles at any dive site. You'll find cute tube sponges at most sites in deeper water where it's sheltered by the spur and groove formations. Use flash very close up for the sponges, don't use flash for the wildlife as there's too much detritus in the water and you'll get a lot of backscatter.

Whereabouts will you be staying?

The dive shops go to Victoria Canyon and about half a dozen sites that are near the cut in the reef because they are close, and there is a lot of marine life there. Definitely lots of nurse sharks, large grouper, turtles, eels and an occasional eagle ray to keep you company.

Back
Top Bottom