• U.S. Divers

Votes: 5 11.6%
  • TUSA

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Oceanic

Votes: 2 4.7%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Flycaster

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
My wife and I are getting back into scuba after a 10 year time off.

I see the prices have increased as expected on gear but not surprised.

What are your favored brand of BC's and regulators these days.

We still have suits, weights, hoods, gloves, fins, just need a good couple sets of regs and BC's.

Thanks in advance.

None on your list...

Zeagle BC's and Atomic Aquatics regulators.

US Divers was acquired by Aqualung over a decade? ago and is now their snorkel gear only line.

Test your wetsuit if you dive where you need one as the neoprene may have lost most of it's insulating qualities if it's also a decade old.

Last edited:
I dive a zeagle bcd with scubapro regs.
Wife enjoys a aqualung bcd and scubapro regs

Love Scubapro BC's. Excellent quality. I've been diving them since 91 and never had a single issue or failure of any kind. I did have SP regs as well but switched over to Atomic regs a few years back. I think they are the best regs on the market.

Personally, I don't think there is any one brand of the equipment that is clearly superior to all others. Most major manufacturers these days all make very good equipment. However, I will also say that there are individual pieces of dive equipment from some manufacturers that are overpriced for what you get. Again, just my opinion and I'll just leave it at that.

So the question is, how do you choose? For me, a good portion of my base scuba kit is Sherwood. The reason for that is that my LDS does a large volume of his business with Sherwood and has a very close working relationship with them. Even being a very small shop, he's consistently one of the top 5 Sherwood dealers in the Southeast. Anyway, because of that, he gets some very good deals on Sherwood equipment, particularly on packages. Hence the reason my base scuba kit is primarily Sherwood. And, I even got to test Sherwood's new Sage computer several months before it hit the market. If my LDS had a close working relationship with Scuba Pro, Mares, or Oceanic, my kit would probably be from one of those instead.

If you're going to buy primarily on-line, it doesn't really matter what brand you pick. And, while you may get slightly better prices on-line, you may encounter problems when you start looking for someone to service your equipment. To me, that's the primary reason for finding a good LDS and buying your base scuba kit from them (again, whatever manufacturer they have a close relationship with).

Regardless of what brand you pick or whether you buy on-line or from a LDS, it's going to be most cost-effective to buy your basic scuba kit as a package. Beyond that, I have no preference or brand loyalty. In fact, my list of accessories looks like it could have come from 20 different yard sales.

Hope this helps.

None of the above.
Apeks for regulator.

^^^ Same. That's what I use but there is nothing wrong with most of the ones you have on your list.

AquaLung/Apeks for regs

Halcyon for my BP/W.

Aqualung Titan LX regs, Diverite Transpac BCs...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom