Fave 5 non-hollywood movies

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

oh yeah... i heard that one is a twisty one

haven't seen it, though

Mikhail Frenkel:
5. Red/White/Blue trilogy (forgot the director) french/polish?

Krzysztof Kieslowski. I liked Blue but I thought White and Red were so so (although Irene Jacob was very easy on the eyes in Red).

Blue was awesome

hard film to watch

Vie:
Great list, annasea!
Thx! Yours, too!

Speaking of Love Is The Devil... two more British films...

Nil By Mouth

Sexy Beast

fb, If you liked Why We Fight, you should check out The World According to Bush if you haven't already done so.

annasea:

Nil By Mouth

Sexy Beast

Sexy Beast - that's a good one. Ben Kingsley was brilliant. Will check out Nil By Mouth - have not seen it.

British films - I have a soft spot Tilda Swinton but can't think of a film she's been in that would actually make the list (apart from Love Is The Devil)... Thinking of Swinton (and Quentin Crisp as Elizabeth I in Orlando) got me thinking about The Naked Civil Servant - that was a pretty good one.

What about the Sergio Leone spaghetti westerns?

I'd add The Seven Samurai and Ran to Rashomon as well.

hmmm...

There's Bullett in the Head and Hard Boiled and a whole lot of other HK gangster films (A Better Tomorrow part 2, etc, etc). For HK kung ** there's a lot of choices as well (e.g. Bride with White Hair), there's also the Jet Li Fist of Legend and other non-magical kung ** movies. Going back in time there's Enter the Dragon. And then there's Jackie Chan / Sammo Hung action-comedy like Supercop or Project A.

For Japanese anime there's a lot as well (Akira, Ghost in the Shell, etc) and all the Miyazaki movies (Nausicaa, etc). There's all the Japanese horror stuff which came out awhile ago as well, which I just haven't gotten around to checking out...

For Bollywood there's movies like Devdas and other great ones.

And I'm no expert in any of these genres, but those are some of the really good and accessable ones I'd have to strongly recommend -- this topic is just so broad that its easier to think of top 5 favorite genres than top 5 favorite movies...

EDIT: kung ** is censored =)

annasea:
Thx! Yours, too!

Nil By Mouth

Sexy Beast

fb, If you liked Why We Fight, you should check out The World According to Bush if you haven't already done so.
Thanks for the tip. You know what blew me away about Why We Fight? My parents were such Kennedy-lovers. Died in the wool Dems. And here I learn that Eisenhower was the more "enlightened" one. In fact, he was downright radical. Imagine. A radical Republican. :rofl3:

The Castle (if you havent seen this you need to!)
Gallipoli
The Man from Snowy River
Adventures of Priscilla, Queen of the Desert
Romper Stomper

all aussie movies that show you parts of my life

don't forget Breaker Morant

Imagine. A radical Republican.

I consider myself one. (WE are the new radicals)

How about "Muriel's Wedding", Almity?

is there really a town named Porpoise Spit?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom