Tank won't fill?...question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Valves are simple. Tanks simpler. Would suspect a torn or deformed soft part in the valve. Or a screwed up valve assembly job. Or a grossly mis-handled/improperly used valve.

As BobDBF said, I'd pull the valve apart. And throw a rebuild kit in. A screw-in valve seat, couple o-rings, copper crush washer, a packing washer, one-piece burst disk assembly. That's literally all there is, except for the stem which unless you bend it would have nothing to do with that problem.

Heck, valves are disposable. I have heard a rumor that there's an online supplier that sells their surplus Thermo pro-valves that come in with tanks for less than the cost of a kit and a burst disk!

OMMOHY

Loose valve seat. Lets pressure out but acts as a check valve to pressure entering the tank.

image (25).jpg

Certainly does not make sense as oxygen is generally only provided by suppliers at a lower pressure than a normal scuba tank. So, the pressure in the oxygen tank will be about the same or marginally more than the pressure you were "stuck" at.

Years back I had a 12L that would only fill to 180bar. Everyone scratching theirs heads.
A gal at the dive shop said she wasn't totally sure what caused it but she'd seen it before and had a fix. She blasted O2 into it because the O2 storage was capable of giving a higher pressure blast.
Blasting O2 into a tank: massive big red flag. If that lady would have a blender certificate, she wouldn't have done it. It's a lot more likely that she was talking about a 300bar bank, and since the newspapers call every scuba tank an oxygen tank, she did as well.

Loose valve seat. Lets pressure out but acts as a check valve to pressure entering the tank.
+1
Although the thread has to be really worn out for that to happen.

But.....it sounds like this happened more than one time. What kept you from having the valve serviced?

Blasting O2 into a tank: massive big red flag. If that lady would have a blender certificate, she wouldn't have done it. It's a lot more likely that she was talking about a 300bar bank, and since the newspapers call every scuba tank an oxygen tank, she did as well.

+1
Although the thread has to be really worn out for that to happen.

But.....it sounds like this happened more than one time. What kept you from having the valve serviced?

O2 etc...I’m just repeating what she said. No idea beyond that. Tank was o2 cleaned etc. She was an old hand and very well regarded by many divers in the industry. Absolutely certified. Perhaps she knew something special there. I have no idea which is partially why I brought it up here.

Service valve...like I said, I was always diving indi twins for work etc. If it went pop... It was never going to be the only thing I had to breath from. That was my thinking at the time. It eventually got serviced when the test was up but it never acted up again in all that time.

This may be a dumb question but I'm going to ask anyway. Did that happen to be a "J" valve on that tank? "J" valves have to be filled in a certain way

This may be a dumb question but I'm going to ask anyway. Did that happen to be a "J" valve on that tank? "J" valves have to be filled in a certain way
Thanks, but no. Just a valve

Back
Top Bottom