Fathom CCR vs JJ-CCR

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I love my JJ and have just over 400 hours on it. I have taken it to Truk *2, Bikini, Solomon, HI, Cayman *2, Curacao, Mexico *4, and of course Florida numerous times.

Travel with it is possible but it is heavy. Somehow I managed a scooter, the JJ and a camera for the last trip to Bikini and only had 2 50lb bags checked. Of course my camera bag was close to 35 lbs and my personal item - all my regs, the JJ head and all the batteries was just under 50lbs.

I have a great deal of trust in my JJ it has been solid in caves, in wrecks and walls in warm water below 300' and in wrecks in Great Lake cold water below 300'. The only addition I have from a stock unit is the MAV shut off.

The thought of dropping about 15lbs and diving the Fathom has me signed up for a fathom crossover this winter in Florida.

Ill let you know in January my thoughts on the Fathom.

J

I love my JJ and have just over 400 hours on it. I have taken it to Truk *2, Bikini, Solomon, HI, Cayman *2, Curacao, Mexico *4, and of course Florida numerous times.

Travel with it is possible but it is heavy. Somehow I managed a scooter, the JJ and a camera for the last trip to Bikini and only had 2 50lb bags checked. Of course my camera bag was close to 35 lbs and my personal item - all my regs, the JJ head and all the batteries was just under 50lbs.

I have a great deal of trust in my JJ it has been solid in caves, in wrecks and walls in warm water below 300' and in wrecks in Great Lake cold water below 300'. The only addition I have from a stock unit is the MAV shut off.

The thought of dropping about 15lbs and diving the Fathom has me signed up for a fathom crossover this winter in Florida.

Ill let you know in January my thoughts on the Fathom.

J

That will be interesting. I know of one hardcore JJ instructor who really liked everything about the fathom but still sticks with a JJ. There’s no way to really know if it’s because most of his business is JJ classes or if there was something about the fathom he liked less. He didn’t say much other than he really liked the fathom. Wasn’t a good comparison

Leon's a nice guy and the 2.7 Meg is pretty bombproof, but he certainly has some interesting ideas about things.

I know, but it's still a bit weird. About the only way you can get "right rich" with the loop moving that direction. The double hose regulators are why the military units flow in that direction, let's them start their training in double hoses
not if you sometimes dive pure helium dil, having O2 available at the mouth suddenly becomes more attractive

What technique do you use?

Push the head down a tiny bit first, I think that breaks any adhesion, then carefully press the button (to avoid trapping your thumb nail), then lift the strap bracing your hand against the handle so you only really squeeze your fist closed. You may also want to stand on the stand for stability. This all sounds a lot more complicated than it is. When I first had the unit I sometimes found it difficult but eventually it became second nature and I do it without thinking about it.

With regards to the head drier thing, that looks like a good idea, and particularly for protecting the head in hand luggage - although now I usually just have the whole thing complete in an old suitcase.

Thanks! Pretty much what I do, but I don't usually push it down first. Will try that the next time it feels particularly tight. Head cover definitely good for packing.

Pushing the head down first is standard practice. But that doesn't solve the issue if you have anything larger like sand grains or stone chips in the groove between head and body. That groove is also almost impossible to clean efficiently in the field before removing the head.
I have the JJ head cover, that is good for packing or storing head while still allowing cells dry.

I find that the biggest factor in the head sticking is hew well lubricated the O-rings are. Even with debris in the water, I find that when I have removed and greased them when building, I can just pull the head straight up without pushing down first. But I don’t remove them every build...

If you find debris to be an issue, though, Pete Mesley’s head cover looks like a good idea... I’m thinking of getting one.

Debris is quite seldom a problem, unless of course there is significant debris falling. Most of those instances should be avoidable by diving better :)

I have not had anything that jams it, but if there is a lot of muck floating about in the water I find traces of it later. I think that is partly due to the draining via the button hole scheme.

I keep spares of those o rings with me, but I quite paranoid of messing with them other than in clean and idea conditions.

These are very minor issues. As I said, I would buy another one if something happened to this one. It is also standing up well.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom