Fatality on Benwood

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What and incredible story thanks for sharing it here so we can learn or reinforce our learning as the case may be.

First of all I am glad you seem to have stopped second guessing yourself arrowskier. :) Nothing happened in your dive or decision making prior to and during the dive that was out of the norm except for one thing. First the one thing IMHO that was out of the norm was your determination and willpower in hanging on to Steve for all that time. :shocked2: What a heroic thing to do. I think the title of hero is overused now days so I seldom use it myself. To me a hero is someone who does something out of the ordinary (beyond their personal experience/training) in spite of fear and potential harm to self. It is wonderful to know there are people out there who care enough for others to do what you did for Steve and his loved ones.:worship:

It isn't uncommon for divers to have "glitches" descending or to get caught in currents. :doh: It is normal for divers to rely on the people they hire such as boat captains and crews to read the local conditions to determine the appropriate conditions for diving their sites. It is unfortunately common for people from middle age onward to be "taken" by previously unrecognized medical problems. :depressed: Steve's problem could have happened while he was out swimming or going about the rest of his normal life. You had no control over that :no:and certainly no responsibility that it just so happened that he was swimming to you when it happened. Please remember that if/when the second guessing comes back.. it is common to have that kinda come and go as you absorb and process the event.

This event sure illustrates how important it is to stay with your buddy, drop weights at the surface, have adequate signalling devices. :clapping: These are all spoken of so often it is hard to understand why so many people run into trouble because they fail to do them:shakehead:

The information that doesn't seem to come up as often is the importance of immediately obeying any signal to end a dive no matter how it is given or by whom! :shocked2:The other takeaway for me is the "mermaid line" Around here it is a common procedure when boat diving in an area subject to currents to throw a Mermaid line with a float out to determine surface current and provide something for surfacing divers to grab onto.:blinking: The other thing I've seen often here is to run a line from the boat to the mooring buoy for divers to follow. Not so common in other areas I guess. I suppose they would be something else the dive crew would have to deal with taking up if they need to move the boat to perform a pickup :idk:

I've surfaced to find no boat in view in daylight. :shocked: It was stressful even when we finally spotted the boat a long ways off. Turned out a group of divers got taken way off the drift dive path they were supposed to be on and the boat had to go pick them up. :) I had to focus on getting myself to calm down and relax telling myself the boat would come to us. I can't imagine how much harder it would be in the dark!

I've had to wait while a boat picked up their divers before they could come to our aid in a dive accident. It seemed to take forever and I wasn't holding a body on the surface at that point. The boat motor truly is the most beautiful music to the ears on those occasions.

Thanks to all of you for setting such a good example and providing us with information that may help save one of us:flowers:

That same night I drove Rainbow Reefs' boat The Tropical Adventure out to Molasses Reef for a night dive. We moored up on the west end of the reef at Fire Coral Cave. I had taken divers out to that exact same mooring ball that morning and again later that afternoon. So we were tied up there for the third time.

Neither the morning or the afternoon trip had any current. It was calm. There was no indication of current when we tied up. later upon discussing the issue the Rainbow Reef instructors told me there was essentially no surface current, but the current was just below the surface...

As soon as we splashed our divers one of them lost his weight pocket and surfaced, He quickly realized the current was too strong for him to swim against and called for help. I sent the first mate out to get him, she eventually got him back to the boat with the help of another of our crew members and a rescue buoy.

It was a tough night and unexpected currents were mostly to blame.

Last edited:
Also, I just had my light and a lightstick on me...I think I will invest in an audible signalling device as well.

I carry a strobe on night dives, in addition to my primary and secondary lights. I've carried a DiveAlert on all dives for many years. I've never used the strobe or the DiveAlert, but you never know

That same night I drove Rainbow Reefs' boat The Tropical Adventure out to Molasses Reef for a night dive. We moored up on the west end of the reef at Fire Coral Cave. I had taken divers out to that exact same mooring ball that morning and again later that afternoon. So we were tied up there for the third time.

Neither the morning or the afternoon trip had any current. It was calm. There was no indication of current when we tied up. later upon discussing the issue the Rainbow Reef instructors told me there was essentially no surface current, but the current was just below the surface...

As soon as we splashed our divers one of them lost his weight pocket and surfaced, He quickly realized the current was too strong for him to swim against and called for help. I sent the first mate out to get him, she eventually got him back to the boat with the help of another of our crew members and a rescue buoy.

It was a tough night and unexpected currents were mostly to blame.

Wow, okay, thanks for sharing your experience! We obviously were not the only ones! We had been at Elbow earlier that day, and like you, had no currents. Totally did not expect them with the night dive to Benwood. A question: during the night dive, we were out there exactly midway between low and high tide...would one expect the current to be a greater factor at such a time? Thanks!

I carry a strobe on night dives, in addition to my primary and secondary lights. I've carried a DiveAlert on all dives for many years. I've never used the strobe or the DiveAlert, but you never know
I would add that always having a strobe is a wise practice. You never know if your planned day dive may turn into night.

You never know if your planned day dive may turn into night.
On an a.m. dive, particularly a shore dive, I'm willing to take the risk.

The ACR 2881 PLB includes a strobe along with its high tech location abilities, and it's on sale. $200 after rebate, free shipping. ACR 2881 ResQLink+ PLB Personal Locator Beacon I never leave my house without mine, it rides in my car, my backpack, wherever. Good for 5 years of standby, so that's 80c/week to know you can call the cavalry even if your emergency is a cell phone dead zone. I still wonder why more don't carry one. If you ever have to use it, they'll replace it for free with a good rescue story - and they have several old ones on their trophy wall with stories of lives saved.

HDVSEATEK makes a nifty dive canister for them, less than $100 including worldwide delivery. See Canister for PLB Scuba Diver Emergency Locator Beacon VHF Marine Radio | eBay or email him direct for more information: HDVSEATEK underwater LED video lights and Diver Locator Beacon Canister.

The ACR 2881 PLB includes a strobe along with its high tech location abilities, and it's on sale. $200 after rebate, free shipping. ACR 2881 ResQLink+ PLB Personal Locator Beacon I never leave my house without mine, it rides in my car, my backpack, wherever. Good for 5 years of standby, so that's 80c/week to know you can call the cavalry even if your emergency is a cell phone dead zone. I still wonder why more don't carry one. If you ever have to use it, they'll replace it for free with a good rescue story - and they have several old ones on their trophy wall with stories of lives saved.

HDVSEATEK makes a nifty dive canister for them, less than $100 including worldwide delivery. See Canister for PLB Scuba Diver Emergency Locator Beacon VHF Marine Radio | eBay or email him direct for more information: HDVSEATEK underwater LED video lights and Diver Locator Beacon Canister.

I was going to message you for this information. I'm buying one as soon as I get back to Jersey. Info much appreciated.

I was going to message you for this information. I'm buying one as soon as I get back to Jersey. Info much appreciated.

Like Tridacna said....first thing I am going to do when I get back is get one also. Thank God we have a second chance!

A few notes about that canister...

If his ebay store runs out of stock, email him at hdvseatek@gmail.com. He posts here on SB some, but he also take diver trips so replies may take time.

"Topside carry pouch included." It is not a dive pouch. Connect it to a bolt snap with a ring, then snap it to your BC.

"Zero maintenance required." Do apply silicone grease to the o-ring.

"Two sizes to fit different sized PLBs." Internal Dimensions: Large 70mm/2.75" x 150mm/5.9"; Small 70mm x 130mm/5.1" The smaller one will work for a PLB, or get the larger one if you want to carry additional items inside.

There is a smaller PLB available, costs a little more, but good for 7 years = 75c/week. You need to carry it in the included neoprene pouch so it will float, but on land it can fit in a shirt pocket. Ocean Signal PLB1 rescueME Personal Locator Beacon

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom