Fatality on Benwood

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Some of this may be impractical in real world settings. Often the itinerary for the day is flexible, based on conditions, perhaps where other boats are going, etc... So to be reliably familiar with site conditions, you'd have to memorize typical conditions for maybe 10 (give or take) dive sites, somehow keep them straight from each other, or take some sort of guide book & quickly read up on sites right after destinations were announced. Even then, you'd have some idea of 'typical' conditions.

There are a number of ways divers try to restrict their diving to conditions within their capabilities. Going on trips that don't specifically cater to the advanced diver, that do a high volume of mainstream (i.e.: includes some beginners, very occasional vacation divers, etc...) divers, and with a seasoned captain in destinations often associated with fairly 'easy' diving are some ways people do this. Then they listen to the dive site briefing upon arrival, and can decide whether to dive then.

Not a failsafe method. But no method is.

My point is, there will be tragedies on (hopefully rare) occasion (that we hope to see minimized within reason). And you can react by 'going OCD' on studying site conditions. But don't guilt trip yourself because you didn't meet some impractical standard.

I don't think the typical Key Largo diver will be studying tide information to predict current behavior.

Richard.

Thanks for your comments. I know there's no way to be exact on conditions. But I definitely want to be more careful. I think having a current line in the water could have helped. I know on other ocean dives, the captain briefed everyone to enter the water and grab the line...and then follow it to the downline to the wreck. Also, I just had my light and a lightstick on me...I think I will invest in an audible signalling device as well. And like tridacna above, I am going to do some pooltime to determine optimum configuration for floating at surface.

Steve_C, I had to ditch both entire pockets of integrated weights because the velcro pockets take two hands to open, and I had one of my arms supporting Steve. There wasn't any easy way to open them and pour the weights out.

I've done the Benwood several times over 3 different trips to KL. We only had less than great conditions once. It was low vis, but never current issues. We did do the Duane one day and it had crazy current. Went around the bow of that very carefully and back to the line I'll tell you that. I think I always assume conditions will be less than ideal. Anytime there is current, I always have a game plan for where to explore first, where the anchor line is at all time, and how I'm going to get back to it while monitoring my air usage. It's not something I can write down on paper as a plan, but all these things are always on my mind, while keeping track of my partner.

With a back inflate BCD you don't want to try to float vertical like you are in a jacket. You want lean back into the water and stick your feet somewhat out in front of you.

And yes, if you are stuck on the surface dropping weights is totally reasonable if you have any concerns. Essentially, if the question "should I drop my weights" occurs to you you probably should drop your weights.

Maybe it is because I dive a fair amount in NC but my first inclination is to follow the anchor line down. In the Keys that is trickier since they tie into a buoy and there is not a line to the buoy unless you are on a deep wreck. But if it is shallow and there is a top current, there is usually very little current on the bottom. So if there is top current we essentially do a hot drop. You go in and meet up near the bottom. You can look up and watch your party as they descend. Then work your way up current staying in the channels. Do your safety stop on the buoy line and come up where you should.

But then I am usually in 2-3 person groups so not trying to keep track of 6-8 people.

---------- Post added November 14th, 2015 at 04:32 PM ----------

Steve_C, I had to ditch both entire pockets of integrated weights because the velcro pockets take two hands to open, and I had one of my arms supporting Steve. There wasn't any easy way to open them and pour the weights out.

Understand. Interesting thing to try sometime in shallow water. Can I dump part or all of the weights one handed and keep the pocket. In your case there was a different top priority and you did the right thing. I am just wondering. It might be possible to do a dump one handed and keep the pocket. On mine I might be able to release the velcro that holds the weights into the pocket before I pull out the pocket. The weights are easily replaced. The weight pockets may not be. I forgot mine once and was not able to get replacements that fit even in Key Largo. But again if it is a life at stake, goodby pockets. (And I now carry a spare pocket in my dive bag).

MMQ is easy. Floating in the ocean at night wondering when or if the boat is going to fetch you tends to change your perspective and mindset. To be honest, the idea to dump my weights came from my buddy- I was too busy trying to balance my wing, waving my light and cursing at the boat to even consider it. Sounds obvious now-not so much then. The sound of the diesel engine approaching is mighty pleasant.

MMQ is easy. Floating in the ocean at night wondering when or if the boat is going to fetch you tends to change your perspective and mindset. To be honest, the idea to dump my weights came from my buddy- I was too busy trying to balance my wing, waving my light and cursing at the boat to even consider it. Sounds obvious now-not so much then. The sound of the diesel engine approaching is mighty pleasant.

Everyone's comments here are helping me learn from and process this tragedy. I really appreciate all of you and your experience! It is helping me feel less alone and less like I did something wrong. Tridacna, you are so right: there was no better sound in that moment than the sound of the boat's engine approaching. And up until reading the posts here, I had a sliver of guilt and recrimination thinking that our plight (my husband's, Steve's, and mine) - was somehow my fault, as if me not being able to get down properly or back to the boat properly - was due to some failing on my part. I am glad to know that this was a false impression, and though there are certainly ways to improve the safety factor in terms of having other gear on hand should it be needed - those things still would not have prevented the problem, rather, only maximize the chance for visibility and rescue in the case of this happening again.

---------- Post added November 14th, 2015 at 06:07 PM ----------

'Nother question for tridacna: you posted that you guys waited 30 minutes until the boat picked you up....is this because you two heeded the signal to end the dive, whereas others did not and you ultimately had to wait until the latter finished their dive? Did others have trouble making it back onto the boat such that the boat had to drive around and pick them up also? Just wondering if the passage of time had more to do with others from the boat not understanding the signal from the dive captain to end the dive? Thanks!

---------- Post added November 14th, 2015 at 06:10 PM ----------

Maybe it is because I dive a fair amount in NC but my first inclination is to follow the anchor line down. In the Keys that is trickier since they tie into a buoy and there is not a line to the buoy unless you are on a deep wreck. But if it is shallow and there is a top current, there is usually very little current on the bottom. So if there is top current we essentially do a hot drop. You go in and meet up near the bottom. You can look up and watch your party as they descend. Then work your way up current staying in the channels. Do your safety stop on the buoy line and come up where you should.

But then I am usually in 2-3 person groups so not trying to keep track of 6-8 people.

---------- Post added November 14th, 2015 at 04:32 PM ----------

Understand. Interesting thing to try sometime in shallow water. Can I dump part or all of the weights one handed and keep the pocket. In your case there was a different top priority and you did the right thing. I am just wondering. It might be possible to do a dump one handed and keep the pocket. On mine I might be able to release the velcro that holds the weights into the pocket before I pull out the pocket. The weights are easily replaced. The weight pockets may not be. I forgot mine once and was not able to get replacements that fit even in Key Largo. But again if it is a life at stake, goodby pockets. (And I now carry a spare pocket in my dive bag).

Yah, good point about the pockets - mine are outdated, and though I can still get them from Oceanic, they aren't going to be available much longer. They are up to QLR 4s and mine are 2s, so I'd better stock up.

Don't know about this boat. But from the breifings on the boats I dive on there is an agreed return to boat signal. Typically the captain will not put the boat in motion until the divers are back on board AND a count has been done to make sure that there are not still some divers in the water being left behind. This is more complicated on a night dive. Figure if divers are 15 minutes from the boat it can easily take 20 minutes or more to get everybody back on board if life it good. Then if there are multiple divers floating off, the boat has to progress slowly keeping a lookout unless they know that the drifiting party is all in one place which is not always the case. Don't want to run over somebody swimming back to the boat.

.... I held onto Steve so he wouldn't float away. ....

.... and coping mentally with Steve's demise. I thought that if I could do one thing right, it would be to bring him back with us...

For those of us that have been through several similar dive experiences like yours, that is an extremely powerful strength you have to see through everything going on and focus on the your action plan. You are an outstanding diver !!

....I think we are too willing to just be taken somewhere and trust that it is okay,

It takes many years of diving to read surface conditions and somewhat judge what's going on. Things like flat surface swirls in chop, Props neutral and reading GPS factoring in wind, Looking at buoy line angle from the surface, and also looking at buoy height and how much submerged it is as well as the wake behind it. This is not something a visitor would have a reference set for and highly relies upon local knowledge to judge what we see every week diving. I trust my Key Largo captains who have done thousands of trips and they know how to read conditions.

Again, this was an incredible write up by you and you are a saint for bringing him back. Been there, done that and know how you feel.

ArrowSkier, we were the last to leave the wreck. We took a reading to get back to the boat and surfaced about 30 yards away. I heard that it took a long while to load all the divers and do roll calls. The current made it impossible for us to get to the boat. Apparently, the captain put the Coast Guard on alert at that time. He suspected that something was wrong when the rescue line went slack. All this is hearsay - I don't know for certain. When we got on board, I knew immediately that something was wrong. We saw your lights and you guys were a LONG way away. Much longer than the rescue line. First time we knew that there was a real problem was when you told us that he was not breathing. I think that everyone acted really well; It was tough getting his body on the boat. I can't imagine how difficult it must have been for you. Your actions were incredibly brave. Not many people would have acted the way that you did.

Back
Top Bottom