Fatality Off Miami Beach - Florida

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dan,
1)I am not trying to "put this on Ari". I am the one who first said we cannot hold Ari responsible for a diver if she was not hired by this girl to guide her.
2)I am not SPECULATING, in case you missed that post above, I was on the dive boat for the incident and I dive with that company frequently
3)I don't see how that quote of my post has anything to do with anything you were ranting about. All I said was that the theory that she fell off the boat wearing only her weight belt was not really plausible. (that has NOTHING to do with Ari and suggests no theories about whether or not the diver was in Ari's care)
4) Once again, I am not trying to blame Ari for the incident and was not the person that suggested anything about her collecting nudibranchs

I apologize if I offended anyone in my previous posts, it has not been my intention to do so. My comments about Ari were only that if she has been doing the things mentioned here (which I know are from a credible source) something should be done to prevent someone from getting hurt. Those comments are not in reference to this incident and were part of a tangent we all seemed to go off on somehow.

Plenty of posters here will have seen posts by me that are rants....I think all will agree that this was not one of them :)
I don't think you offended anyone either.... This is a very complicated issue, and both you and I, are trying hard to address many specific points.

She would have to swim all the way to the surface if she's not neutrally buoyant with a full BC at depth.

That is not true. Once an ascent has begun, it will continue on it's own even if someone is overweighted. Try it. People who are severely overweighted sometimes have rapid ascents and subsequently have difficulty fine-tuning their buoyancy, causing them to yo-yo up and down. They don't have to kick all the way up. Remember, the BC was found without the deceased at the surface, and the poster I quoted said this meant she had to be neutrally buoyant at depth - not true if her weighting exceeded the lift of her BC.

If her weighting exceeded the lift capacity of her BCD, she would not have been observed dog paddling on the surface.

I just want to make clear, I continue to stand by my previous comments on these subjects.

The bulk of this thread is taking place in the clouds--Speculation based on statements from one person with a long-standing reputation for dishonesty, which make no sense, and appear to have no purpose except to attempt to elevate That person's apparent importance, while pointing the finger at others.

I just want to make clear, I continue to stand by my previous comments on these subjects.

The bulk of this thread is taking place in the clouds--Speculation based on statements from one person with a long-standing reputation for dishonesty, which make no sense, and appear to have no purpose except to attempt to elevate That person's apparent importance, while pointing the finger at others.

If Ari's claims are untrue as you believe they are, then this will become public knowledge after the investigation --at least that would seem to be the most useful way to proceed with this.
She is what you might call a "personality" in the BHB community--this affords her no protection if she did something improper, but it does mean enough people know her, that most would want to know the legal facts, and not just guess the worst.

I don't see this thread as being about Ari. I see it as being about how a diver could die on a shallow baby diving site with little more challenge than a swimming pool, and how this could be prevented in the future.
It might be about Training minimums....it might be about whether buddy diving is even possible with one or 2 divers clearly below minimum skill levels. I don't think this should be anything close to the CSI Miami saga that some of the finger pointing may have brought with it :)

I don't see this thread as being about Ari. I see it as being about how a diver could die on a shallow baby diving site with little more challenge than a swimming pool, and how this could be prevented in the future.
It might be about Training minimums....it might be about whether buddy diving is even possible with one or 2 divers clearly below minimum skill levels.

Or, it might be about helping out a fellow diver, even if you're not the guy being paid to do it.

Or, it might be about helping out a fellow diver, even if you're not the guy being paid to do it.
Absolutely....So if there were 35 to 40 divers in the water, you would expect all would be looking around a little, and noticing a nearby diver in some distress. If the girl was with Ari, then this will have to come out. Because we know her from the BHB, I would hate to find out this was the case, with all the implications that would present....Until I know facts that prove this though, I have to give her the benefit of the doubt....She does have the two divers with her, and the assumption is that they would not lie for her.....and are so far consistent. We will see where this goes !

If Ari's claims are untrue as you believe they are, then this will become public knowledge after the investigation --

So little ever seems to become public knowledge after the investigation. Just Sayin'

So little ever seems to become public knowledge after the investigation. Just Sayin'
True....though it appears we have a couple dogs in this fight that will "keep their teeth in it" :)
And this would be for the best.

Dan, you and I have discussed this several times. This thread is about -nothing-.

The reason it's about nothing is that all people are doing is speculating and theorizing based on what they think are facts, but what are really nonsense, gossip, innuendo, and in some cases flat-out lies.

Days ago you said you were going to stop posting because you recognized that you were keeping going an utterly pointless discussion-which does pose a risk of damaging the reputations of innocent people-for no reason.

Why do you keep this going? You weren't on the boat. You haven't spoken to anyone who was there except for Ari, who you have told me you agree is utterly unreliable and a well-known liar. You don't have any other source of information about what happened.

The actual witnesses and people who -do- know what happened are not posting here. (Or, in one case, no longer are.)

So what possible point is there in continuing this thread? Why do you keep posting?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom