Fatality in Rockport, Ontario - 4/Feb/2006

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

at what point do you feel obligated when you make an observation about new divers and an unrealistic plan to say something?

catherine96821:
at what point do you feel obligated when you make an observation about new divers and an unrealistic plan to say something?

And how do you determine their level of experience reliably? And how do you judge them? And assuming you've decided that they don't possess the necessary skills/equipment/experience to safely conduct a particular dive, and that it's your "duty" ro try to talk them out of doing the dive, how do you do so?

Tough questions all.

yea, I never do it because I don't like it when people do it to me. But..the surface swim out there surely would put most newish divers in trouble. First time in a dry suit? Very sad.

It's not actually done as a surface swim; you descent right off the dock, and there is a line to the wreck.

Ritchard

I just studied Chapters 4 & 5 from Padi's Rescue book today. Very similar cirucumstances discussed there...

I have dived the area once, but only from a boat. Didn't realize until after this afternoon's posts that some do it from shore, following a line under the water. Surface swims in the area are certainly not a good idea, with current, boat & barge traffic.

Would be interesting to see more inforation...

What information would you like. My account and my buddys account are posted on the OD board.

DandyDon:
I just studied Chapters 4 & 5 from Padi's Rescue book today. Very similar cirucumstances discussed there...

I'm going to step into this not as a diver but as someone who is local to the area and although I've not met the individuals invloved, they are a members of our close knit dive community here. I myself have just recently joined this community and we are all devastaed by this unfortunate accident.

I'd like to request that we all show some repsect for the victum and compassion for the other divers involved and not armchair quaterback this.

I know that as divers we are taught to look at an incident and try to learn from it, but perhaps we could wait unitl the official reports are made public and remember that you are not talking about some abstract or hypothetical scenario.

There are actual people involved in this, and out of respect for their feelings, perhaps we can suspend the crituque of the recovery diver's actions, and the second guessing of the victum's situation, until the facts are made public.

In particular, any discussion revolving arround the recovery and the victum's potential survivability this early on, seems callous and could be hurtful to the survivors.

We will have time later, after the grieving has taken its course, the hurt as subsided a little, and the details are made avaiable, to review this and hopefully learn from it.

Sadly

Rick
aka Storm

Thanks Storm - good suggestions. Indeed, I am sorry for the victims, buddy, loved ones, and the rescuers.

JJones, thanks for offering to asnwer questions, but - all it all, it looks like you did good. I'll leave it at that.

<edit> We were posting at the same time...
Sadly, I have yet to see any concern on this board regarding the loss of the diver's life, or the worst nightmare scenario of surfacing a deceased diver.
Yes, I hinted in #13 above, but didn't do well in conveying those feelings. Tried a little better on this post, but never been good at these things.

Sadly, I have yet to see any concern on this board regarding the loss of the diver's life, or the worst nightmare scenario of surfacing a deceased diver. There's been the issue of the date format, depths/conditions suitable for a 80-90 foot dive, yet none of the standard issue 'my condolences'. One of the members of this board was part of this tragic situation...doesn't get any closer than that.

Sean

catherine96821:

Thats a real good question. Because there have been a few times I have kinda hinted to people that perhaps they just werent up to the dive...being a new drysuit diver, on a single tank, or lack of experience, or whatever.....And sometimes people thank you for your concern and dont do it...And sometimes they give you the middle finger and do it anyway... I guess it depends on the person giving the advice, and the person taking it...

Back
Top Bottom