Fatality in Rockport, Ontario - 4/Feb/2006

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

the link takes me to a page where I have to log in......

Hey Warren. How about pasting us the meat of the thread.

This is the account from one of the board members.

So here is my account of what happened. I met A F and his son at the Rockport Dive Center this morning. He was talking to 2 other divers about diving the Kinghorn. As we started getting our gear ready we noticed the other 2 on the customs dock. They were wearing single 80's. A F, J and I commented to ourselves how they couldn't do the dive on an 80. I don't recall seeing them anymore after that and we started our dive at 10:05. We saw no one on our way out to the Kinghorn and after a bottom time of 35mins we turned around. About 70 feet from the wreck (its shadow was still visible) and 40 feet from the line A F saw something. We swam over and realized that it was a body. We had A F's son stay on the line away from it as we swam to it. The guy was on his right side, no mask on and no reg in his mouth. Andre pressed the purge button and nothing came out. He tied of a reel to a D-ring on the body and passed me the reel while he orally inflated the BC. A F fully inflated the BC and the guy was still on the bottom. A F removed 2 integrated weight pouches as well as a weight belt (we estimated the weight at about 30 or more lbs) before the body started to rise. Andre had to give it a push to help it along. I passed the reel back to Andre and we towed the body back in to shore. As we were doing out deco/safety stops they guys buddy grabbed the body (on the surface) to bring it the rest of the way in. When I finished my stops I indicated to A F that I was surfacing and got out of the water to phone 911. We took the gear off the body and brought it all onto the dock. His pressure read 0psi. We shut the tank down counting the turns and waited for emergency services. Things that came out in later conversations with the guys buddy and police are
Their dive plan was to go to 1500psi then turn
This was only the guys 3rd dive in a dry suit

Edited by NetDoc to remove full names.

He later goes on to say

I forgot to add that at one point during their dive one of them shot to the surface. They became separated at that point

Back
Top Bottom