"Fast Boats"

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Namchief:
As for the Shamu comment about everyone doing a back roll at once. I have over 25 dives from the Shamu and that has never happened. Always 1 per side till clear and ok sign, including getting cameras.

Actually, it depends on who all is on the boat and some other factors....we do it either way...depending on various situations.

Hum, surprised this hasn't come up yet. Smaller boats usually have gasoline engines as opposed to larger boats with diesel engines. With either you cannot avoid the fumes. Not that either are pleasant but you might have a preference. I do, and there aint nothing better than huffing on some good ole gasoline fumes with the throttle nailed, jumping waves and passing the cattle boats on the way to the dive site. Oh yeah, and the sea spray... you're gonna get wet anyway!

there are two types of "slow boats" working cozumel. One does a similar dive selection as the fast boats, just takes longer to get to the site. The other old style slow boats (anita is an example) give you a nice comfortable ride out to the site, long surface interval with lunch) and your second dive ends up on reefs like santa rosa not the shallow reefs that most operations go to after the first dive and a short surface interval (talking about 2 hour interval here). Thats a big plus for divers wanting to be diving and not hanging out with the cruise boat crowd in town.

Augustus:
Thats a big plus for divers wanting to be diving and not hanging out with the cruise boat crowd in town.

Sounds like you're suggesting "fast boat people" hang out with pod people? I think not! It's the pod people we avoid by taking the small boats. :D I didn't wan't to say it but add that to the list of pros for small boats.... If there was any truth to your statment, I'd take land based activities with them over diving with them anyday.

The cruise boat divers usually show up on the late morning and afternoon dives. There are very easy to avoid.

driftin' by:
there aint nothing better than huffing on some good ole gasoline fumes with the throttle nailed, jumping waves .......... and the sea spray... you're gonna get wet anyway!

Garrobo:
I think the fast, choppy ride and salt spray is fun.
Maybe it's too many hours in the navy, beating the cr*p out of my body and knees as a boat officer on small boats pounding their way through sloppy weather, but each to his own. I'll leave the thrill ride to you guys. :)

driftin' by:
Sounds like you're suggesting "fast boat people" hang out with pod people? I think not! It's the pod people we avoid by taking the small boats. :D I didn't wan't to say it but add that to the list of pros for small boats.... If there was any truth to your statment, I'd take land based activities with them over diving with them anyday.
FWIW, I can only remember a couple of instances of being on a dive boat with folks from cruise ships; they never were a problem. And however they arranged it, it was always on a fast boat.

driftin' by:
It's the pod people we avoid by taking the small boats. :D I didn't wan't to say it but add that to the list of pros for small boats.... If there was any truth to your statment, I'd take land based activities with them over diving with them anyday.

:mooner: Good thing I have a sense of humor!! Otherwise I'd take severe offense at these statements!! I've been on a number of cruise ships to get to Coz, or anywhere else I can dive. I'd hate to classify myself as a pod person, but I guess you would have no problem!

:no And don't be so sure about avoiding 'US' on the 6-packs .... every time I hit Coz, I managed to dive, and always in a fast boat!!

Diver Kat:
Good thing I have a sense of humor!! Otherwise I'd take severe offense at these statements!! I've been on a number of cruise ships to get to Coz, or anywhere else I can dive. I'd hate to classify myself as a pod person, but I guess you would have no problem!

And don't be so sure about avoiding 'US' on the 6-packs .... every time I hit Coz, I managed to dive, and always in a fast boat!!

I knew I was going to get busted for that one. :11: That's why I didn't want to say it but Augustus brought it up in the first place, so there!
Of course, cruisers on this board a NOT pod people... silly Kat! :D Heck aren't hard-core liveaboard divers really cruisers after all?

Sorry :blinking:

driftin' by:
I knew I was going to get busted for that one. :11: That's why I didn't want to say it but Augustus brought it up in the first place, so there!
Of course, cruisers on this board a NOT pod people... silly Kat! :D Heck aren't hard-core liveaboard divers really cruisers after all?

Sorry :blinking:
LOL!!! I figured you were waiting to get smacked!!! :bash:

Yup .... they're all just different size boats!! I prefer the smaller ones, but sometimes I have to take the bigger one to get to the smaller one!!:D

Surprisingly (or maybe not!) I've found lots of cruiser that are hardcore divers .... they just won't always admit (on this board) that they cruise!! ::wink:

what i mean is i would rather hang out on the water for the day , getting a nice surface interval relaxing and then do the second dive then rushing out to a site on a fast boat so I am back at the dock for lunch. I avoid fast boats for this reason.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom