Farting at Five Fathoms???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I didn't realize the question was a serious one, IMO water is not going to enter and cause any painful reaction.

I have a condition that causes lots of gas on occasions, what I can tell you from personal experience is that as I descend the bloating sensation goes away and the need to cut one loose with it. On ascent it doesn't come back. My personal theory is that the air bubbles in the colon shrink down and migrate on their own out of the colon without noticed. I.e. instead of one large pocket of air it's a smaller pocket and vents easily without notice.

I can't say for certain, but I can say I've never cut one loose under water.

Dude, you have just invented a perfect hydration system!!! Fart at depth, seawater rushes into your bum where freshwater seeps through the lining of your rectum to hydrate you!!! When you fart again, the brine solution is removed and repeated. Who needs a sun still when lost at sea now??? Just pack your life boat full of beanie weenies and you can have food and water in one convenient, small package.

(Seriously, you can "drink" seawater through your butt! One family survived a few weeks at sea with this method.)

1. I am never diving with any of you guys.
2. If you've mastered the basic skill of clearing your ears, the rest should be easy ...
3. My question, though, if you hold it in, do you get methane bubbles in your blood stream like you do with nitrogen? Can you get fart-bent?

Wilson:
Reverse blocks indeed! I pity the fool who opens a back entry drysuit for a buddy only to witness Boyle's Law of Methane first hand.
I believe you are refering to Bean's Law.

ItsBruce:
1. 3. My question, though, if you hold it in, do you get methane bubbles in your blood stream like you do with nitrogen? Can you get fart-bent?

:rofl3: :rofl3: :rofl3: :rofl3:

:mooner: :mooner: :mooner:

Damn it, I'm ashamed to admit that I graduated from FSU after the initial question...

:rofl3: :rofl3:

This is too funny! My boyfriend keeps threatening to fart in his semi dry chest zipped suit and then ask me to help him out of it. Guess who now has to get himself out of his suit!

Kudos to the Warhammer though, that is some gross move! :bubble_fi

Ok, I simply can not resist this. It's just funny and poses the dumb question:

Since it's a naturally closing muscle, wouldn't you think that squeezing one off at depth would be near impossible?

I've tried and still have yet to succeed in floating a green cloud at depth, it always hits me at the surface.

Besides, if water pressure was an issue then you wouldn't be able to dive because your bowels would fill with water at depth. :popcorn:

SeaTurtle42:
Damn it, I'm ashamed to admit that I graduated from FSU after the initial question...

You should be ashamed to begin with.

GO GATORS!

hahahahaha, can't sit still while reading the entire thread!. :lol: well for me, i had to do some movements with my body in order to expel the trapped air bubbles in my wetsuit. hehehehe. (hopefully my dive buddies didn't notice :wink: ) :rofl3:

i remember getting the runs during one dive. so while having our SI, i immediately went at the back of some bushes & did my business. holding on nearby trees for support. hehehe :) good thing that we were only 4 in the group & no other people was at the site at that time. talk about embarrassment

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom