Farting at Five Fathoms???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

it can't be described with words, somebody may have on offsite link to it, as it was removed from SB years ago

I suffered a "Farting Malady" once, but it was not a water ingress issue......The fart rolled up the back of my wetsuit and into my hood, forming a bubble at the top of my hood.....shortly thereafter I purchased a hood with a vent hole.Problem Solved.

see, I knew somebody would have a link :D

It's perfectly fine in a dry suit (the gaseous emission, not the Warhammer!) In fact, new cold water diver initiation rights include helping an experienced diver doff his drysuit by opening the rear zipper after said experienced diver has added personal buoyancy gas to the suit. :rofl3:

Did I say something about a rear zipper? Maybe that's the solution to unwanted bubble excursions at five fathoms.

ShanChan:
Not to hijack the thread, but I have been wondering:

Air is compressed at depth. Does that mean a fart is compressed at depth? So, for example, you let one loose at depth - it must be huge to overcome the pressure, right? And if you are wearing a heavy wetsuit or a drysuit, would that affect boyancy as you ascend?

There is no greater pressure needed to exhaust the gas, the internal and external pressure is the same. That being said, the internal gas adds to the bodies bouyancy, moreso at shallow depths because the gas is at it's greatest volume and displaces more water. remember the water bottle from open water class, same thing, just in your belly. Once released, the gas expands normally upon ascent, adding bouyancy to your suit unless vented.:D

Once you release the gas, you are less bouyant. So remember to add a little weight or release some gas prior to your dive after a white castle or taco bell night.:rofl3:

CentralTxDiver:
What if one was wearing a drysuit? I imagine one might have to open a relief valve on the drysuit to keep from suddenly ascending due to the rapid infusion of the fart gas in the drysuit. Hmm...something to think about.

Jim

Air has a slightly higher specific heat than methane, so at the least it would cool you down at bit.

:rofl3:

The warhammer is just way too out there. Gotta give the guy some credit for the lack of humility! As for the dude in the black expanded suit :rofl3: :rofl3: :rofl3: :rofl3:

It probably depends on if it were a boomer which could force the sphincter wide open or an SBD which just creeps out like a cat in the night.:rofl3:

Back
Top Bottom