Farallon Shark Dart ??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

manni-yunk

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Alright - I know that everyone LOVES sharks and we should feel blessed to swim with them.

Skipping past all that - In the even that someone had to defend themselves from a shark attack -

I am surprised that no one manufactures a similar product to the Dart. It seems it worked well (only when needed) was safer than a powerhead and simple. Clearly there is somewhat of a market - these things used are expensive as crap. They dont last long when they do pop up and people that own them seem to want to hold onto them.

I thought I read a while ago about a knife with a similar concept - but I dont know what happened - I like the dart concept better anyway.

I would not harm a shark while spearfishing unless ABSOLUTELY necessary - and if needed - I would want something safe, simple, and effective. The Dart seemed to have fit these nicely.

There is one on Ebay now for 400. Pricey for something that hasnt been manufactured for quite some time.

Skipping past all that - In the even that someone had to defend themselves from a shark attack

Why would ever be attacked by a shark in the first place? Have you ever looked at the number of scuba divers attacked by sharks? Is your risk real or imagined?

Carrying a shark dart to defend yourself from a shark attack is like carrying an assault rifle to defend yourself from a terrorist attack.

Is a terrorist attack against you possible in New Jersey? Yes.

Is a terrorist attack against so likely that you need to carry an assault rifle? No.

I suggest that you spend some time doing some research and spend some time actually diving with sharks before you decide to buy a shark dart. Unless you're trailing some chum behind you, as a scuba diver you're really not at risk of a shark attack.

Why would ever be attacked by a shark in the first place? Have you ever looked at the number of scuba divers attacked by sharks? Is your risk real or imagined?

Carrying a shark dart to defend yourself from a shark attack is like carrying an assault rifle to defend yourself from a terrorist attack.

Is a terrorist attack against so likely that you need to carry an assault rifle? No.

I suggest that you spend some time doing some research and spend some time actually diving with sharks before you decide to buy a shark dart. Unless you're trailing some chum behind you, as a scuba diver you're really not at risk of a shark attack.

I respectfully find your analogy fatally flawed in it it based on horrible assumptions.

Are more people, domestically, attacked by a terrorist or by a shark? Remember that the shark stats usually discount a lot of situations including those that are provoked - or where someone is spearfishing nearby.

Do I think it is likely - NO. But I also dont think its likely to need my pony - I still carry one.

Although we want to try to protect sharks - I believe that they do, from time to time, attack. Plenty of threads on here supporting that. We, as a society, went from being shark haters and killers - to the exact opposite, where we want to doubt that they do, from time to time, attack.

BTW - this was meant to be a technology questions - not a theory of sharks question.

I have dove with sharks and have not felt threatened - BUT - I also know that Tigers, Bulls and Whites are all in NJ and we dont "SEE" them until they are hooked - or until its to late.

Doc Harry:
Have you ever looked at the number of scuba divers attacked by sharks?

If it was only 1, there is a risk. Small, but still a risk and if you are that one, would it matter if you were the only one? Would you be less dead? By the way, you would not be the only one. Divers who are attacked by sharks are rare, but are out there. There are several on this board, one of whom saved his life with the shark dart.

Manni-yunk, I have one, but have been unable to find CO2 cartridges to fit it. It might be cheaper to get a machinist to make one for you that today's CO2 cartridges will fit.

A better choice, although more expensive, would be the shark shield.

Have you ever been to New Jersey?

If it was only 1, there is a risk. Small, but still a risk and if you are that one, would it matter if you were the only one? Would you be less dead? By the way, you would not be the only one. Divers who are attacked by sharks are rare, but are out there. There are several on this board, one of whom saved his life with the shark dart.

Manni-yunk, I have one, but have been unable to find CO2 cartridges to fit it. It might be cheaper to get a machinist to make one for you that today's CO2 cartridges will fit.

A better choice, although more expensive, would be the shark shield.

Funny you said that - I mentioned to a friend this morning that we could probably get one made if we got our hands on one to see how they work.

I looked into the sharkshield last year. Do they work? Is a "buddy" at risk ih he touches it?

Have you ever been to New Jersey?

:rofl3:

Yes, I realize that facts amount to nothing but fatally flawed and horrible assumptions, especially for people in 'Jersey....

If you consider only scuba divers who were not spear fishing, you can count the number of sharks attacks on one hand and still have enough fingers left over to hold a cold beer.

The shark attack data strongly suggests that the desire to carry anti-shark devices is a desire fueled by hysterical assumptions, not facts. Now if you were spear fishing, it would be a different matter entirely...

:rofl3:

Yes, I realize that facts Now if you were spear fishing, it would be a different matter entirely...

Well then, doc, it would appear that you entered this thread and made some horrible assumptions without asking clarfying questions.

ALL of my diving, and those that dive my boat, in NJ, is spearfishing and lobster hunting. Not many pretty coral reefs to look at:D

Even when we go to NC and FL - it is to spear fish.

Thus, the reason for entering my querry in the "underwater hunting" forum.

I found the Farallon Shark Dart reliable only if you can hit them in a limited area in the gut. I suppose it could work in other areas but getting adequate penetration is very difficult at the toothy end. The "needle" alone is often enough to make them look elsewhere though.

Power heads work anywhere you can get a solid hit. I have had occasion to use both while riding shotgun for friends spearfishing in Baja. With either device, getting out of the water is a good idea since their cannibalistic friends get excited pretty fast. Most of the time a little prodding or aggressive behavior alone works.

Using either is a pretty risky business. Both devices fail on a glancing blow and you don’t need one at all unless the animal is exceptionally aggressive. Either is also useless in mediocre visibility since you can't react fast enough when you really needed to.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom