Fantasy Lake

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

djbobbyzee

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
Good evening y'all.

We're headed to Fantasy Lake on 7/30 & 7/31 (from Wilmington). Does anyone have any info they could share, or possibly a link to an underwater guide to the quarry?

Plans thus far are to stay at the Sleep Inn in Wake Forest. Any good eats worth mentioning? Not sure if the ladies are more psyched about the dive or shopping :dance: in Raleigh... but it should be a fun fresh water weekend none the less.

Bobby :monkeydan

jason might - pm jason b and ask. he & i are going sat, so i might be more helpful sat afternoon or sun! did you try a google search? i know they have a website, though i don't know if it has a map.

pm sent...

djbobbyzee:
Good evening y'all.

We're headed to Fantasy Lake on 7/30 & 7/31 (from Wilmington). Does anyone have any info they could share, or possibly a link to an underwater guide to the quarry?

Some folks from Gypsy Divers made an underwater map of the quarry that is pretty accurate. I think it was made a couple of years ago - so they might not have them anymore. Capital Scuba (the shop at the lake) might also have something.

http://gypsydivers.com/Scuba/index.htm
http://capitalscuba.com/index.php

Many of the sites (bus, training platforms, glass bottom boat, VW, etc..) are marked with buoys on the surface. There are a few ropes running from one location to the other.

Rich

Warthog:
Where is Fantasy Lake anyway? Near Raleigh I'm assuming?

Is it worth a 4+ hr drive for me?
Matt,

Probably not worth the drive, hey I live here and have only been there twice (once in 1999 after I moved here and agin in April or May I think).

I just wish I could find someone to go diving with me with some of the untested charters on the NC Coast.

djbobbyzee:
Good evening y'all.

Plans thus far are to stay at the Sleep Inn in Wake Forest. Any good eats worth mentioning? Not sure if the ladies are more psyched about the dive or shopping :dance: in Raleigh... but it should be a fun fresh water weekend none the less.

First - if the Sleep Inn is the one on Wake Union Church - the Mexican place right across the street is pretty good - Los Tres Magayas (spelling?). It's about 2 minutes from my house and we find it a enjoyable. Other than that, there are a number of pretty nice places in the town of Wake Forest, but I'm pretty new here and cannot even remember the name of all the nice eateries in town. Also close by are a number of chain eateries (about 5 minute drive by the Home Depot on Capital).

Second - I never knew about the quarry near-by. Sounds like a great opportunity to get wet prior to our trip to PBI - haven't been in the water since November and it'd be nice to check out the gear and get comfortable with descent, ascent, etc. Sounds like you just drive up, pay and dive - is that true? Also, is it pretty easy to navigate safely?

sipidanbg:
Sounds like you just drive up, pay and dive - is that true? Also, is it pretty easy to navigate safely?
Pretty much it right there. Drive up, pay, go get wet. They have a dive shop on site so you can get fills or rent gear if needed. Easy to get around in safely. I find it a great place to keep your skills sharp or just go have some fun blowing a few bubbles with some friends.

Jason

LindaBluedolphin:
Matt,

Probably not worth the drive, hey I live here and have only been there twice (once in 1999 after I moved here and agin in April or May I think).

I just wish I could find someone to go diving with me with some of the untested charters on the NC Coast.

Yaa, I looked it up on Mapquest...5 hours 46 minutes from here. Lookes to be about 40 miles off I-95 though. So maybe a stop on the way to Florida :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom