Fantasy Island Roatan Accident March 09

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The fact that only one person died and others were not sick does not necessarily prove that the air was not bad. For example, several years ago when 2 people died at Cocoview due to bad air, a whole lot of other people did not become sick or die. All of the tanks do not necessarily have the exact same composition of gases in them or subject to the same contaminants as others were exposed to, in addition to different people being more or less sensitive to exposure to contaminants.

I have no idea if bad gas was a factor at all in this case. However, I don't think it can be definitively ruled out.

I have no idea if bad gas was a factor at all in this case. However, I don't think it can be definitively ruled out.

True enough. But the possibility of bad air is highly doubtful. There are so many other factors that have not even been mentioned. We know absolutely nothing about the dive or the physical condition of the diver. It is irresponsible to even attempt to place blame when there is absolutely no indication that bad air was a factor.

Were the contents of the tank tested? Would seem an obvious thing to do in the circumstances but I guess Roatan is not the U.S.

The fact that only one person died and others were not sick does not necessarily prove that the air was not bad. For example, several years ago when 2 people died at Cocoview due to bad air, a whole lot of other people did not become sick or die. All of the tanks do not necessarily have the exact same composition of gases in them or subject to the same contaminants as others were exposed to, in addition to different people being more or less sensitive to exposure to contaminants.

I didn't mean to get something started here about this resort is better than that resort. The wife of the deceased said she thought it might have been a nitrox issue, and I was just pointing out what I know about nitrox. I have only read about divers dying at depth with nitrox poisoning after convulsing - they didn't make it back to the boat, climbing onboard on their own, and weren't able to talk like she said her husband did just before collapsing. Nitrox deaths, as I have been taught, happen very very suddenly.

The bad air thing was referring to a situation on a liveaboard, not in Roatan at either resort.... just making a point that there are documented cases of divers dying from bad air - they did the dive and returned to the boat only to collapse and die or be taken to hospital where they recovered. It sounded somewhat similar so I brought it up. But I did ask her if he said anything about a headache or nausea, which are symtoms of bad air. If he didn't, then it probably was some other factor which caused his death. We don't know his health history or what meds he may have been taking. She said she thought he was disoriented at the surface... that is a big indicator something was had happened. Panic? Maybe... but then he collapses and dies a few minutes later.

Also, remember that most medical professionals label all scuba deaths as either heart attacks or drowning... they just don't get that there are many of other things that could cause a scuba death. For them, a heart attack is easy to see, if it wasn't a heart attack it must have been drowning.... period. :shakehead:

robin:D

.....nitrox poisoning

Are you referencing OxTox here? I have never heard of NItrox poisoning.

Also, remember that most medical professionals label all scuba deaths as either heart attacks or drowning... they just don't get that there are many of other things that could cause a scuba death. For them, a heart attack is easy to see, if it wasn't a heart attack it must have been drowning.... period.

I am not a medical examiner or coroner or anything like that. But I have watched a lot of CSI so I am qualified to comment here :wink:. Just kidding. I would be VERY surprised if the coroner simply guessed with most scuba accidents. Do not forget, there is often (or at least some times) a secondary cause of death.....#1 is AGE #2 is drowning (just an example). My point is I do not personally believe they are as clueless as you make them sound.

Are you referencing OxTox here? I have never heard of NItrox poisoning.

I am not a medical examiner or coroner or anything like that. But I have watched a lot of CSI so I am qualified to comment here :wink:. Just kidding. I would be VERY surprised if the coroner simply guessed with most scuba accidents. Do not forget, there is often (or at least some times) a secondary cause of death.....#1 is AGE #2 is drowning (just an example). My point is I do not personally believe they are as clueless as you make them sound.

Age is not a cause of death primary or secondary.

My point was not dependent on whether or not those were real possibilities so I could care less if it is a possible cause of death or not. As stated, it was just an example.

not age, A.G.E.

Sorry....maybe I should have spelled out...Arterial Gas Embolism

EDIT

(Maybe it stands for Acute Gas Embolism.....as indicated I AM NOT a medical professional)

Steve--

Did you mean "age" as in how old a person is, or "AGE" as in arterial gas embolism?

edit--you answered just when I posted :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom