Fantasy Island Roatan Accident March 09

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

. . .For a number of years my wife and I have been regular visitors to Fantasy Island, we were there in December, April, July and are current booked to return in October. I am concerned and distressed by the statements that the boat driver was unable to assist with recovery of a person from the water, not trained in CPR, didn't know where the Oxygen and first aid kit was on the boat. Having been there many times I know all of the boat captains pretty well and this doesn't mesh with my knowledge of them. . .
I've been to FI in 1995, 2000 and 2007. The dive shop manager in 1995 and 2000 was the same. There was a new one in 2007. While I had no complaints about the manager in '95 or 2000, I do remember there being a lot of maintenance issues in '95, and that tank fills were erradic. The new manager I met in '07, seemed to maintain a more consistant operation. He maintained the laid-back atmosphere of FI, but behind the scenes, you got the impression that he held the staff to a tighter standard. This was partly evidenced by the air-fills, which were consistantly between 3000 and 3100.

I did learn from him, while I was there, that the staff expanded and contracted depending on the number of reservations for that week. If they had a particularly heavy crowd expected, they would put out a request for DM's all over the island. And, would even borrow boats from Coco View and other resorts.

The DM I had in '07 was quite good; confident, skilled and friendly. If they had a particularly large crowd, I can imagine that some of the DM's they brought in, might not be as skilled as the core group. This is not an excuse. I'm just trying to think of how the FI that I've been to, might mesh with the experience related in the story.

The question isn't what the terms of the settlement are.

Yes it is. Are you familiar with Honduran law? Not me.

It appears that many renovations have been done and we quite enjoyed our stay. The room was clean, quiet and comfortable, and the service was excellent.

When I was there in '07, they were taking the place down, one wing at a time, and completely gutting the rooms. The room I was in, was not yet renovated. I'd love a chance to see the rooms after the renovation. I'm curious to see what they did.

Back
Top Bottom