Falling Rock or Twin Quarries?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Elonna

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hi everyone. A couple of other local area divers (Cincinnati area) and I are looking at going to Falling Rock or Twin Quarries for a day trip of diving the first or second weekend in October. They're about equally distant from us and I've read a lot here about Falling Rock, but has anyone been to Twin (south of Columbus)? And which one would you choose if it wasn't a matter of driving there?

Thanks

I can't speak to Falling Rock, because I haven't been there yet, but Twin Quarries is not bad especially for a newer diver. There are 2 quarries as the name implies and both are fairly shallow (around 20-25'). There is a small dive shop in case you need something, they have changing rooms, and pretty clean port-a-johns (at least when I was there last). There are some pretty good size blue gills and catfish that just love to be fed. The first time I was there, the viz was pretty good in both quarries. The second time the north quarry (where nobody was diving) only had 3-5' viz, but the south quarry had good viz despite all the people diving in it. Another plus, is that the water is warm due to the shallowness, so you may not need a hood or gloves. They have fresh water jelly fish, which I saw some. There is a training platform and all the underwater attractions had lines between them so they were easy to travel between.

Have fun where ever you choose!

Never been to the twins. FRP goes down to around 45' with allot to see. Vis last weekend was around 12' since the local search and rescue teams were out and mucked it up a bit more than normal. If you come down this way, let me know, I know every inch of the 7 acres of the place. Some places divers and instructors have never seen.....

There is not a dive shop at FRP so make sure to bring enough tanks. The closest air fill is in Louisville at Paradise. I'm going north for the weekend but haven't decided where yet. Gilboa, Portage, White Star, or Haigh in Illinois. You're more than welcome to come along.

Back
Top Bottom