Faith diving and magic?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Really. We've never broken out the boat's supply, though. As often as not, we have our own handy. Not feeling 100%? Suck some down. Cheap and perhaps effective.
Not worried about masking symptoms?
@DandyDon: It sounds as though you're advocating that a diver shouldn't breathe 100% O2 for fear of "masking symptoms." Given a deco violation and/or any possible DCS symptoms, a diver shouldn't hesitate to breathe 100% O2 post-dive at the surface. Report to the ER later, if necessary. Let the pros deal with sorting out masked symptoms and whatever the "real" diagnosis is.

@DandyDon: It sounds as though you're advocating that a diver shouldn't breathe 100% O2 for fear of "masking symptoms." Given a deco violation and/or any possible DCS symptoms, a diver shouldn't hesitate to breathe 100% O2 post-dive at the surface. Report to the ER later, if necessary. Let the pros deal with sorting out masked symptoms and whatever the "real" diagnosis is.
I'm certainly not qualified to advocate anything along those lines. I did ask as it sounded kinda cavalier, but maybe I'm just too old to think about feeling 100%. Given deco violation and/or any possible DCS symptoms, yeah sure.

My line of thought is that:

1) Giving precautionary O2 (for ascent rate/deco violations) may be enough to prevent a hit.
2) If the precautionary O2 masks the symptoms of a hit, then it is also delaying the onset of that hit.
3) If the hit is going to happen, it will be evident when the diver comes off the O2 after the precautionary period (10/15/20 mins?).
4) It's better for the diver if the onset of the hit is delayed until the boat is nearer shore etc.
5) If a hit occurs, the diver will be given O2 anyway... which will again mask those symptoms.

This assumes that:

1) Once given precautionary O2 for a 'bad' dive, the diver would not be allowed to re-enter the water for subsequent dives, regardless of the absence of symptoms.
2) The diver will be monitored and assessed for DCS before, during and after the administration of precautionary O2.
3) The diver will be immediately evacuated to medical care should symptoms arise.

With regard to avoiding interventions that "mask symptoms," for the most part, health professionals are talking about taking pain meds. In such cases, the amount/location/change/quality of the pain is an important symptom which aids the physician in arriving at an accurate diagnosis.

It's worth pointing out that certain anti-inflammatory meds (NSAIDs) have an analgesic effect but may also provide some "direct" benefit to divers afflicted with DCS. We still don't understand the pathogenetic mechanism underlying DCS and, on a molecular/cellular level, inflammatory modulators may play a role.

Is there any evidence that using O2 masks symptoms while not acually making the problem (possible DCI) better?

I dont remember any

Thank you all for discussing this with me.

I am Deco trained, not that it would have made any difference in this situation if anything it made it worse.

Some background.

all the diving in Coz is deep followed by multi levels up. so it is typical for a computer to show deco at depth then clear 1/2 way through the dive.

Let me start with my personal "glass house" disclosure; I am not "deco trained" but on solo scooter dives I have had 7-8 minute mandatory stops showing on my Suunto Viper, with nearly 50 cubic feet of air left in the tank, and those infrequent (2?) mandatory stops "cleared" well before the end of the dives.

I knew within a minute when the Viper changed from 1 minute NDL to 4 minute mandatory stop, and I saw every increment change up to the 7-8 minutes (looking at computer every 30-45 seconds).

Now I'm going to throw some stones; how can a responsible scuba instructor say this with a clear conscience?

"all the diving in Coz is deep followed by multi levels up. so it is typical for a computer to show deco at depth then clear 1/2 way through the dive."

:confused:

Are you really saying that recreational tourist divers "typically" dive their computers into deco when diving Coz?

:no:

Shrug. I've never been symptomatic, nor have I sucked O2 on the boat other than to escape diesel fumes.

I think if you're bent, you're going to know it. A little surface O2 isn't likely to mask anything severe. That isn't based on any experiences of my own, just a gut feeling.

..................I think if you're bent, you're going to know it. A little surface O2 isn't likely to mask anything severe. That isn't based on any experiences of my own, just a gut feeling.

Same gut feeling.

Everything I have read indicates that pure oxygen most rapidly alleviates the root cause of your distress, N2 bubbles in body tissues. If anyone wishes to call this masking symptoms, fine with me. Your bod, your choice.

Even if you have seriously violated CNS oxygen levels, pure O2 is not much threat on the surface. People survive convulsions daily. If you have seriously violated OTU oxygen levels, deal with the lung congestion later -you are in the process of being bent now...

Back again to the original question: How much do I count on my dive computer?

I view it as a useful instrument. That might break at any time, or be flawed in the assumptions it is making about my actual deco status.

This may be because I'm relatively "new" to using a dive computer. Its a great tool, I just don't trust it completely (yet, anyway).

Before I enter the water I have a "max depth" and "max time" decided upon, that is more conservative than what my computer allows. I refer to my computer, but also keep an eye on my analog dive watch as well.

I'm not comfortable "riding the computer" at the edge of a deco obligation.

SailNaked: Thanks for posting your experience. Everyone goofs; by sharing, you may help others (including me!!) re-evaluate how they approach dive planning.

Best wishes.

Ever thought the OP could have just had a massive brain fart? I am not an advanced diver by any stretch of anyone's imagination, but I can guarantee that everyone has had brain farts from time to time. Obviously a brain fart while diving can have disasterous results but in this instance it did not. Since said brain fart did not kill him, instead of tearing him a new one, treat it like any other debriefing and go over the mistakes made, future solutions to problems, and how to not get into the situation again.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom