Fair price for used equipment?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi,
I'm looking to sell my BCD and regs and wondering how to determine what's a reasonable price to ask for them. They are a bit old, purchased in 1998 or '99, but have only seen about 75-100 or so dives. I've tried to treat them well, I think, and have never had any problems with them, but I'd like to sell them and buy a bcd that fits me better (being a short gal) and a lighter weight reg, since I always seem to be flying to my dives these days. I have a beuchat masterlift evolution BCD and a Beuchat vx10 evolution reg. Any advice anyone can offer would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks much!

The minute you walk out of the LDS, they were worth 20% of what you paid for them. The resale value of SCUBA gear is so low that Play-It-Again Sports won't even take the stuff, rarely will pawn shops, unless in Ft Lauderdale, then they are very low.

That's why I just smile when people agonize over getting their regs and BC "stolen" from their checked luggage. Cameras and computers, sure- regs? Not happening.

The best place to sell is on eBay. Start the price low, $.99 and the system will indeed tell you what it's worth. Split the stuff up- don't imagine that someone is going to want your "set". Be smart and careful about the title- that's how the eBay search engine works.

There are currently no active listings or recent prior sales of anything Beauchat. There are 368 listings for "scuba regulator", 172 hits on "diving regulator", and 143 hits on "scuba diving regulator". The lesson here? Use all three words in the title.

Hey- you might have generated some interest here... if you had stated the size of the BCD, anyway.

Sometimes local SCUBA diving travel expos have "used tent sales" sponsored by local shops. That is another way to go. Craig's list is cheap, but the results are rarely any good.

My best shot would be to get on Ebay, use the advanced search function for completed listings. That is the best way of finding out what the market is thinking over the last 30 days.

...hmm, lets see.... 10 year old gear and a very rare/unpopular brand in the US......pretty much worthless I'd say...your best bet, with the least hassle, is to try to use that gear as trade-in credit at a local dive shop towards new gear.

Thanks for the feedback - current responses were about what I suspected, I kind of figured it was worth whatever someone was willing to pay for it, but thought I would ask around before putting it on ebay. And yes, I would have posted the size of the BCD if I had been able to find it, I assume it's not a large since it's fit's me and I'm 5'2".

Dawn

Heck... post it on here and see if it sells. if it doesn't, you will see that you will need to lower your price.

post as much info as you can. pictures help sell or at least let the buyer understand more of what they are getting.

very rare/unpopular brand in the US......pretty much worthless

Depends upon your geographic and sociological bent. Lots of Beauchat outposts out there~ pockets of French resistance, if you will.

And again, it's all pretty much so worthless when you cross the threshold leaving your LDS. Beauchat may have a funny reputation, but it's resale value isn't that far off of any other manufacturer.

If the BC works, I'd keep using it. I know that few will agree, but a BC is a BC unless you have special physical considerations. If you want to switch to BPW, keep the BC around for some special uses. The "iron" is a real negative only because of the difficulty of getting parts.

Considering the fairly low value of it, why not just keep it as a backup/loaner....got several of them myself. Great way to kit out a new diver who whats to dive but does not have any gear.

Last edited:
I agree with herman. Keep your old gear.When I started out in diving, I had no idea how was supposed to complete a set. Now after two complete sets, I find myself loathe to get rid of the old set - resale value too low, and its a great way to invite other buddies to come along (No gear? No problem! I've got a spare! :D )

One point on keeping a set as a loaner for anyone who figures this is a good idea...once you have a complete back-up set STOP! I think I have 4 sets now LOL! My back-up's back-up has a back-up :rolleyes:
Ber :lilbunny:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom