Fair Price For Hydro Test

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DawgPaddle

Contributor
Reaction score
I just purchased an aluminum 40cf for use a Pony off the Joisey shore (most boats capm's require a pony in this area). It's 2 years out of hydro and was curious what a fair price would be to pay for it's recertification hydrostatic test, and how long does this process usually take?

Thanks

When I had my al80 hydroed here in florida it took five business days and cost $30.

DawgPaddle:
I just purchased an aluminum 40cf for use a Pony off the Joisey shore (most boats capm's require a pony in this area). It's 2 years out of hydro and was curious what a fair price would be to pay for it's recertification hydrostatic test, and how long does this process usually take?

Thanks

I can't speak for the cost of a hydro in your area but the actual test takes about 5 min.

Find a hydro shop (they mostly do fire extinguishers and such) and take it there yourself. There is not only no reason not to go through the dive shop, you will get nothing other than a bigger bill from doing so.

You can get a hydro done for $15 or so. It takes just minutes, as was noted.

Don't know about your area but we charge $12.50 for hydro with 24 hours turn around promised.

Hallmac

last year- $18 each at the hydro/fire supply place... four tanks left on wednesday and picked them up monday

wow. Sounds like I got screwed! Oh well, the shop has been very good to me, I supported the LDS.

Only a fraction of dive shops are set up to perform hydrostatic tests. Most simply take cylinders to a tester, often a company that primarily tests fire extinguishers. Of course the dive shop takes a mark up for the time they spend moving your cylinders around.

iflyprops:
wow. Sounds like I got screwed! Oh well, the shop has been very good to me, I supported the LDS.
You probably didn't get screwed, since there's a couple different levels to the original question...

[Comment to the folks that have been around awhile: We've talked about alloys, inspections, shops refusing to fill cylinders and other stuff a million times before, let's keep this one simple]

A hydro around here is $15. That was the original question, but I'm not sure if that was what the original poster really meant to ask, because a hydro is just part of the equation.

In additin to a hydro, The SCUBA industry requires a Visual Cylinder Inspection (VCI) and the sticker that's the result of a VCI before shops will fill cylinders. A VCI costs somewhere in the $8 to $15 range and is worth that amount of money if done correctly. Finally, if your cylinder came back full of air, that's $3-$6 for a fill.

So how's that $30 looking now?

Roak

Back
Top Bottom