Fair price for a used HP120 tank?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

drbill

The Lorax for the Kelp Forest
Scuba Legend
Rest in Peace
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
One of my dive buddies wants to sell me one of her HP120's. It is about 5 years old, due for hydro soon. If it passes hydro, what would be a fair offer for the tank? I don't really know the market for used stuff, since I usually buy new, but I know she has taken care of this tank.

TIA

Doc

drbill:
One of my dive buddies wants to sell me one of her HP120's. It is about 5 years old, due for hydro soon. If it passes hydro, what would be a fair offer for the tank? I don't really know the market for used stuff, since I usually buy new, but I know she has taken care of this tank.

TIA

Doc

Last week I paid $175 for a Faber LP95 in good shape, made in 2002. Both buyer and seller were happy with the price.

Steel tanks hold thier value because you can't even buy them new unless you hunt around. In good, shape if recent hydro they go for 2/3 of new price. I'd offer 2/3 new price but make seller pay for a new hydro. Lower price if it has some scratches and dings or if it looses it's + stamp.

I've seen very old but servicable steel 72s (with minor rust) go
for $80 each.

I just paid $187.00 for a used Faber LP95+.

Joe

I just paid $365 each for a brand new set of HP 120s. So if you can get one that passes hydro for <$200 I think you would be doing pretty good.

Apparently, this summer there is a shortage of high pressure steel tanks in the US.

Beside the fact that new PST E7-120 retails for over $350, it is difficult to find one.

Older PST HP120 is not as desirable because of 7/8 neck thread (limited choices for valves/manifolds), but still a very popular tank.

Situation with newer high pressure Fabers looks similar to PST.

Low pressure Fabers are available.

So if you want any steel tank there is no point of paying big bucks. If you want a high pressure steel tank this summer, $200-250 for that HP120 seems fair.

I just paid 265 for a lp 108
and the shop has 2 new faber 120s o2 clean for 299 each
the shop is on tampa

dive safe

mark s

I just bought a new PST E8-130 and paid $315 for it at a LDS in Redondo Beach, which is a steal (no pun intended) considering they run about $370 in many places, if you can even find one these days. I was at a Sport Chalet late last week and the price was actually reduced on the two steel tanks they had sitting there...they were PST's (under the Aqua Aire label), $249 for an 80 cf and $279 for a 100cf. Considering the high resale price of used steel tanks, my own preference was to buy one new.

I also just paid 365 for a new HP 120 pressed steel tank and am still waiting on some more that are on abck order.

scubacalifornia:
(under the Aqua Aire label), $249 for an 80 cf and $279 for a 100cf. Considering the high resale price of used steel tanks, my own preference was to buy one new.
Reduced price from Chalet? I'd be careful that the 100 is not the old one with the 7/8 thread. It could be that they're discounting because they're blowing the line out due to the availability problems.
The only PST 80s that I've seen at Chalet RECENTLY have been an oddball 3000psi steel 80, but they also carried the old HP80 with the 7/8 thread... it was WAY short... maybe even smaller than an AL63. The 3000psi 80 looks more like an old 72.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom