Failed O2 cylinder valve

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

@davehicks,

Can you supply a clear close-up of the hole in the first pic of post #4? Those are straight threads so the seal is made at the O-ring and that hole shouldn't matter...

I agree that hole does not matter to this incident. The issue was that I could not seal the tank valve after the fill. It's just curious that this valve has more than one unexpected hole in it.

I am going to take this whole pile of parts to my shop that does the VIP and Hydro's. I need a new valve anyway and will ask to re-vip the tank. I'll get another picture.

Reactions: OTF
That is how Blue Steel did many of their valves. That hole is drilled into the bonnet threads to be able to safely release pressure in the bonnet area if somebody unscrewed it under pressure.

Don't let them trash or keep any parts! (unless you decide to give them to the hydro guys for training or display)

How about the burst disk - what does that look like? Does the seat look normal? Are all the threads on the male part of the damaged area ok (only some are visible in pic)? Any damage to your transfill whip?

Valve Seat and Bonus hole in Stem.

IMG_20210329_193948.jpg
IMG_20210329_193933.jpg

That is how Blue Steel did many of their valves. That hole is drilled into the bonnet threads to be able to safely release pressure in the bonnet area if somebody unscrewed it under pressure.

That is interesting. I've not ever seen or noticed that before. I don't think it is relevant to this incident but very curious.

Don't let them trash or keep any parts! (unless you decide to give them to the hydro guys for training or display)

How about the burst disk - what does that look like? Does the seat look normal? Are all the threads on the male part of the damaged area ok (only some are visible in pic)? Any damage to your transfill whip?

I didn't remove the burst disk yet. I got distracted with the crater in the valve thread.

I posted the seat earlier in the thread, I think it looks OK, a bit worn but not burned.

The threads on the bonnet all look normal. The threads you can't see look the same as the ones you can.

The transfill whip seems fine. I filled some more tanks today with my booster, both AIR and O2.

Reactions: OTF
That is interesting. I've not ever seen or noticed that before. I don't think it is relevant to this incident but very curious.

Your leak is from a different issue, the hole should be there.

upload_2021-3-29_23-17-27.png

Back
Top Bottom