Facts, recommendations, speculation, blame, etc - Scuba Mau mishap

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There is an accidents and incidents sub section for posts such as this. Hopefully will get moved there soon.
There are two threads on the incident there already, but closed to general discussion. It's all been said.

I would call all three of them friends, but they all three took part in a stupid dive plan. No one has mentioned guns being held so I presume that any one of them could have refused to dive the plan. That it went worse was not expected but not really surprising. I don't think that much can be learned from it other than don't even think about such a plan. Yeah, I know the black coral poachers there do such and perhaps others brag about doing those dives, but inexcusable.

There is an accidents and incidents sub section for posts such as this. Hopefully will get moved there soon.

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

It won't get moved because it doesn't belong. A&I is concerned with the actions that led to injury and how to avoid those actions and prevent injury. Those issues have been thoroughly covered. This thread is already filled with other issues and will remain clear of A&I.
Rick

Again, Don has said it all. Well said.

First off, what makes anyone think that DAN conducts accident investigations EDIT - with respect to recreational divers. No-one conducts accident investigations. Sorry, your need for closure does not require anyone to spend thousands of dollars to investigate what was, undoubtedly, a very poorly planned dive. Sorry that your need doesn't affect the rest of us as it affects you.

Secondly, the facts are clear. A dive was (not) planned by folks who had no idea what they were getting into. They didn't follow even basic safety protocols for any type of dive beyond recreational. These types of incidents happen all the time all around the world by folks who think that they are smarter than the guys who do these types of dives all the time. Was it a tragedy? Surely it was. Was it 100% avoidable? Surely it was. Will it happen again within the next 6 months to someone that has absolutely no business doing that type of dive? Surely it will.

Last edited:
This plea that comes about after one victim succumbs to their injuries as a result of the dive to continue discussing what is already blatantly apparent!?!? Disgraceful! :shakehead: I'd rather this thread be closed and removed because there isn't a single word to be said that hasn't already been said.

I don't think the actual profiles will add anything to our understanding of the accident.

I agree. The answers people want aren't on the dive computers.

Actually, the answers many people want - the "why" issues rather than the "how" ones - may not exist in a discoverable form.

Once we have a reasonable technical understanding of what happened (and we do have that), additional calls for information really only reflect a voyeuristic interest in personal details that aren't pertinent or a wish for unattainable certainty that such a thing could never happen to oneself or someone about whom one cares.

HJeffreyM, I guess you meant well - but you can ask a Mod to close the thread you started if you'd like.

This is the silliest thing I've ever heard. This is wrong on so many levels, it's hard to pick a place to start. Do you have any idea how much our knowledge of diving physiology has increased since the 60' s and 70's? How much diving technology and equipment has improved since those days?? I didn't know Opal, and I don't know what her "personal dive philosophy" was....whatever the heck THAT is......but some things are wrong, because they are wrong. It's one thing to make a mistake because one is unaware that there is a better way. It is shear folly and inexcusable to make such a mistake because you arrogantly choose to disregard the hard learned knowledge of those who went before you. Again...I don't know if this is what she did. I'm just following your line of thought. Regardless of the known and proven dangers associated with diving to such depths on air....there are some physical laws at work here as well, not limited to the vastly increased gas consumption rate at those depths, and that diving on single tanks to that depth, left absolutely no room for error as a result.....Saying that one has a "personal dive philosophy" does not immunize one from being called foolish, and in possession of a foolish philosophy. This accident was completely foreseeable and avoidable. I could go on and on.

This is the silliest thing I've ever heard. This is wrong on so many levels, it's hard to pick a place to start. Do you have any idea how much our knowledge of diving physiology has increased since the 60' s and 70's? How much diving technology and equipment has improved since those days?? I didn't know Opal, and I don't know what her "personal dive philosophy" was....whatever the heck THAT is......

If you need it defined it would be -"deep diving on air, single tank, bounce diving, belief in in-water recompression."

Seriously, is this really this hard to understand that its a complete mystery to people? Do you think, she forgot to take her trimix along or that it fell off during the dive? There are people doing this every day. This is where scuba came from before it matured to what it is today.

but some things are wrong, because they are wrong. It's one thing to make a mistake because one is unaware that there is a better way. It is shear folly and inexcusable to make such a mistake because you arrogantly choose to disregard the hard learned knowledge of those who went before you. Again...I don't know if this is what she did. I'm just following your line of thought. Regardless of the known and proven dangers associated with diving to such depths on air....there are some physical laws at work here as well, not limited to the vastly increased gas consumption rate at those depths, and that diving on single tanks to that depth, left absolutely no room for error as a result.....Saying that one has a "personal dive philosophy" does not immunize one from being called foolish, and in possession of a foolish philosophy. This accident was completely foreseeable and avoidable. I could go on and on.

Go tell that to all the other divers who still do it and to all the divers that used to do it.

You don't need to define her tragic ending as foolish. It was her choice as it was the choice of many who used to dive this way in the early beginnings of scuba because there wasn't a better way, nor that the risks were truly known back then. There are some people who still do it now even that the risks are better known. If you want to hold people to what you must consider to be simple standards then you can hold the rest of the world to avoiding risky behavior too and that should do it, just like magic there wouldn't be another case of AIDs in the world from people having unprotected sex, won't ever be another unplanned pregnancy, nobody will ever die or be injured because they didn't wear a seat belt and nobody will ever be killed or injured because they didn't wear a helmet on a motorcycle.

People are going to continue to make their own choices, some good and some bad and they will continue to have to live with the outcomes. I'd recommend just getting over it if you can. If you didn't realize it, there are some people not following the text books when it comes to scuba diving, it's just the way it is.

I'll just further add, that I think if you polled Cozumel dive masters, and asked how many have been 200ft or deeper, on air on a single tank, the response is going to easily be way north of 50%.

Last edited:
We here at the Scuba Mau family would like to take a moment of your time to say thank you. During this time all I have seen is unconditional love and support towards our sister and her family! The donations and the true showing of the human spirit,compassion has been able to bring a smile to everyones face here and at home!
I want everyone to know that our sister is smiling down from above to all that has helped and supported Gabi her family and her dream here on this island!:)
Opal always believed that a dive shop wasnt about a name...It just wasnt about business...It was about being a family and taking care of those who come to visit you just like family....Opals family here on the island is going to stay right here and continue on Opals dream of bringing the family feeling into everyones vacation experience... Besides anyone that knows Opal would know that she would probably haunt us if anything was to happen to her dream!:)
The dive family that Opal has here cannot express in words our grattitude that we have towards all that have supported Opals dream and continue to support it to this day. Let us always remember that Gabi still needs our support while he reocvers from his injuries we can never forget the man that put his life on the line to give our sister a fighting chance!
From the bottom of all our hearts...MUCHAS GRACIAS See you when you get down here!!!
Sincerely, The Scuba Mau Cozumel family.

Back
Top Bottom