Face rash/swelling, numb finger after First 2 Open Water dives

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kfreckles

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
Hi I'm learning to dive in the UK with BSAC.
I did my first 2 open water dives in Capenwray Quarry in the UK yesterday approx 9oC

1st dive = 33 mins at 6 metres
1 hour break
2nd dive = 12m approx 30 mins

When I got home my face and part of my neck had gone very red and blotchy and very swollen all over and a bit itchy. The tip of my middle left finger was also numb and tingly (highest point of body when using dump on dry suit to get rid of air)

The face rash was all over - apart from where my mask had been?

I've woke up this morning and the rash seems to be dissapearing although I still have a numb tingling left finger.

I wouldn't have thought I'd dived enough to suffer from DCI, although wondering what has caused these symptoms.
On the first dive I did shoot to the surface as it became apparant the dump valve on the drysuit didn't work...but again 6m isn't enough to cause issues.

My initial thoughts were:
  • Reaction to cold - I did find both dives very painful on my face for first 5 mins due to cold
  • Something in the water, although everyone else was fine
  • chilblains, going from cold to warm car (then bath 2 hours later) - but seems unlikely
  • Mild DCI or PFO
  • Hired equipment i.e. hood etc causing irritation (I considered the rubber/latex seals, but my wrists are fine)

Out of interest if someone does get mild DCI, can it clear up itself with time, or will symptoms worsen if someone doesn't use a chamber etc?
Thanks Ell

Given the dive profiles mentioned, it is very highly unlikely to be DCI. I'm sure someone eminently qualified will confirm that likelihood soon.

My guess would be either a reaction to something in the water or exposure to the cold. There is potential for latex allergy - are you sure the wrist seals are latex rubber? Could be a different material to the hood seals?

I've woke up this morning and the rash seems to be dissapearing although I still have a numb tingling left finger.

You should probably see a doctor. Numbness needs to be checked out.

Concur with Andy in that this is highly unlikely to be decompression illness. You already have some good insights on what this could be, but without actually seeing and examining you it's hard to say for sure. The facial rash may be contact dermatitis, which could come from from swimming through an area of concentrated contaminant or an allergic reaction to your mask or hood material. It could also be cold-induced urticaria, which is pretty easy to confirm. Put a bag of ice on your bare abdomen, wait a few minutes, and then take it off. If you get a hive-like rash, that's it. Treatment is preventative; protect exposed areas from cold water. Antihistamines may be effective as well.

As far as the numb and tingling finger, that's probably a local nerve injury. It could be from direct trauma like gripping something too tightly or for too long, or from indirect ischemic injury like wrist seals that were too tight. Your dives were not provocative enough to produce decompression sickness even in the presence of a PFO. There's no history (panic ascent, out-of-air, etc) for gas embolism, and AGE does not produce isolated local neurological symptoms like that.

If the finger symptoms don't resolve in the next day or two or if you're at all concerned about it, go see your local practitioner.

Best regards,
DDM

When I snow ski in very cold weather my cold-induced urticaria kicks up. I take antihistamines prior to skiing and I have no problem. My symptoms are welts on the part of my face that's not covered. If other skin is exposed...wrists, neck,....I get welts. Not fun. Now you've reminded me why I never want to dive in cold water :shakehead:.

I know in the spring I'm good for getting juvenile jelly stings. At any time while diving did you ever feel like what could be a biting itchy feeling?

I usually end up with what looks like a cold sore where they sneak in behind the regulator

If you are having numbness it's probably worth getting it checked out.

Finger could have been glove pressure -- if they're a little too tight, I find that the tips of my fingers take a beating.

What do you know about the neoprene in the contacted areas? Any chance it was rinsed in some sort of disinfectant and not thoroughly rinsed out?

Thanks all.

I think it must have been urticaria/hives as my rash looked the same as google pics for urticaria.
I did try the ice-cube for 4 mins on abdomen, it did stay red for a while - but nothing major (could it be because my face was exposed for much longer?)

My finger is still numb 2 days later. The wrist seals were very tight! Gloves were ok
I don't know anything about the neoprene or if they clean it etc.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom