Eyes open under water..?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I never liked to have my eyes open under water also, but one of the things I found help was not to blink so much. I'm not sure how it works, but blinking too much seems to create more irritation for me.

You know this weekend MHK would not let anyone open their eyes underwater with the mask off. So for anyone planning to take the course you have to be able to master a Mask R&R in mid-water without moving too far up or down in the water column while keeping your eyes shut. He is looking for continuous breathing, no breath holding, no panic, and not moving more than a couple of feet up or down. During one dive I had my mask off for a number of minutes, when we recovered inventory on spare I replaced and cleared and MHK took that one too <LOL>. My buddies had to bring me all the way to the surface on touch language alone and I was not allowed to open my eyes.

Now in a real emergency you wouldn't handicap yourself any further. Of course if you feel comfortable opening your eyes under water you would have some limited visibility that would aid you in solving your problem. However, I feel confident that I could handle the situation in a silt out because of the drills and practice. Every diver should be as preparred!

every night you fill up your sink and stick your head underwater and open your eyes, you could even use your snorkel.:)

I think it is a conditioned response, and you can get used to it, especially if you do it every day. Chlorine will fry your eyes, and is probably responsible for many people not liking to open their eyes underwater, so avoid practising too much in a pool.

FWIW, I don't recall actually opening your eyes as being a requirement. I never do even now because I wear contacts. In a pool, they become welded permanently to my corneas if I open my eyes, and in the ocean, they will lift right off and float away, possibly making some myopic fish very happy.
In the mask flooding and/or removal and replacement skills, I just kept my eyes closed.

Back
Top Bottom