Eyes open under water..?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

nickjb once bubbled...

AFAIK There is no requirement to open your eyes during open water training. Your instructor can guide you through all the mask off exercises.

When I went through PADI certification there was no requirement to open my eyes. I kept them closed during all the mask off exercises. However, one of my colleagues at work was NAUI certified and they made him swim without a mask and with his eyes open. I don't know if this is a NAUI requirement or if it is uniquie to this instructor.

I suppose it depends on what aaronkok's instructor will require. Aaronkok, do you know that you will be required to open your eyes under water? (Even if you aren't IMHO its good to be able to do it anyway).

Just keep em closed. There is no need to open your eyes directly exposed to the chlorine or the salt water. If your mask should ever come off, be removed for any reason, or flood - just keep your eyes shut until the mask is replaced and cleared. If the mask is lost or cracked, your buddy can assist you in returning to the surface to end the dive safely.

Unless this is some personal goal you are doing for yourself alone and for your own comfort, don't allow anyone push you into believing it is a requirement or some sort of life saving skill.

I also wear contacts and just last week I did my pool session where you had to clear your mask and as DiverBouy said keep your eyes closed. We also had to swim with no mask while breathing I had my eyes closed then to with the help of my dive buddy so I didn't hit the walls. In the open water I dont think I will be to worried about losing a contact if my mask falls off. Just my 2 cents from somebody who's going through it right now.

Good Luck!!

Just open your eyes. If you could forced yourself to take a breath underwater, then you can open your eyes.
As a kid I kept my eyes closed and opened them just once in a while. Once I opened them just to see a rock some 20 cm (4in) in front of me. I've been keeping my eyes opened ever since.

The reason I think its a good idea to be comfortable opening your eyes under water is because of something that happened to a friend of mine. She went on a night dive in Cozumel. She didn't have a buddy so the DM offered to buddy with her. Great she thought. First problem was that the boat dropped them in a strong current -- too strong for a night dive even for Coz (this was later explained to her by a DAN doctor who was also on that dive that night). Second problem was that one of the spastic divers kicked her mask off (she didn't have a spare). Third problem was that the DM swam off and didn't even notice her. She was left by herself, maskless and buddyless. She did not even know which way was up. Being a smart cookie, she opened her eyes and saw which way the bubbles were going so she could orient herself. Although, obviously she couldn't see any detail in anything, she could see the bubbles and could make a controlled ascent.

I sat on the bottom of the shallow end (of the pool) with nothing but a snorkel until I could sit there for five minutes with nose exposed and eyes open 1/2 way.

This way I put pressure on myself to be confident prior to any classes.

My kids thought I was crazy, but I made them do it untill they could stay at least two minutes. They had no problem with either mask clearing or mask removal in class.

It worked....................

Just getting used to it will help a lot. I spent some time in the pool right after certification (mostly working on the breathing with no mask, have always opened my eyes underwater) but tried different things while down there. This takes your mind off of the fact that you don't have a mask on and you can figure out ways to do things like cupping your hands over your eyes, face down, to capture some air - you can actually trap a curtain of air over your eyes and see clearly without a mask that way. (who knows, it's a stupid pet trick that may come in handy one day.)

One of my buddies still has a phobia of flooding his mask and he's been diving for atleast 5 years. I'm always a little uneasy diving with him because of this. What if I need help and he flips out because his mask is flooded?

During a near drowning accident in my youth, I developed a very healthy fear of water and depth.

It took me a long time to work my way out of that fear. I started by snorkling in shallow water to build confidence. I then began free diving to shallow depths (20 ft), to extend my confidence.

When it came time to do my dive training, I practiced in a pool flooding and clearing my mask in shallow water to gain confidence. Once I achieved that, the rest of the training was cake.

My point is to take all of your challanges in stages to gain confidence. The success will drive you further and if you fail in your first attempts, it will drive you on to try again if you really want to dive.

Today I am a certified AOW diver working to complete my Dive Master cert. If I can do it, I know that you can, if you have the diving desire like I did. I can tell you from experience that the rewards that you will gain are incredible.

Whatever you decide, best of luck to you.

Enjoy the ride
:mean:

I hated it also until my instructor made me do a no mask dive for 30 minutes. After that, no problem. Now to keep that up to date I do all my safety stops no masked. Never have a problem.

I would just say force yourself to do it. After that, your good.

Back
Top Bottom