Extended VISA needed for 29 day trip to PI?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We do not advise to use an agent to extend your visa (unless you are spending extended time in a remote area from which travel is hard to get to an Immigration Office). This is because the use of agents is now actively discouraged by the Bureau of Immigration and the process is very simple and straightforward to do yourself.

Here is info that posted earlier about extending tourist visas. Note that fees may have increased slightly.

Tourism Visa on Entry
A free 21 day tourism visa is issued on entry into the Philippines.

This can be extended at your point of entry to 60 days, otherwise a visa can be applied for at any Bureau of Immigration office.

Immigration Officers do advise that you apply in advance for the 60 day extended visa though Philippine Consulates in your home country/country of departure.

First Extension
This application, for 38 days, requires 2 photos and the completion of a visa extension form. (provided by immigrataion). You will need a photopy of your passport ID page, page with your Philippine Immigration entry stamp and (if applicable) previous extension stamps.

The cost is 3030 pesos. 1000 for the actual visa the rest is fees for this, that, and the other.

Further Extensions
Further visas are issued for 60 day extensions, up to a total of stay of 16 months in the Philippines. The cost for each extension is approx is 4300 pesos, again there are fees for this and that. (Head tax, research fee, annual report fee, express fee, reconsideration fee, etc)

The cost for the 60 day tourism extension visas do vary a little depending on your cummulative length of your stay; visas do become slightly cheaper the longer you stay in the Philippines.

For 16 to 24 months, tourism Visa applications need to be approved by the Chief of Immigration Regulation (based in Manila). Applications for a stay beyond 24 months needs approval of the Commissioner. You used to have to go in person to Manila to get this done, but we understand that local officers can now deal with this (the Commissioner recognised that people were travelling great distances and incurring big costs).

Other Info
Anyone who has remained in the Philipines longer than 6 months needs an exit certificate from the Bureau of Immigration. Again, 2 photos and a form to fill in, and 1500 pesos (you can take a risk and pay at the airport when you leave, but this is not advised).

Until recently, there was a strict dress code in immigration offices - long trousers, t-shirt/shirt and shoes/trainers. This has been relaxed (shorts and sandles OK now). Regardless, we advise you still attend smartly dressed to show respect and be respected.

Though an 'express fee' is charged, it can take an hour or more to have your forms processed at very busy times. Like Rhoody said, some offices can/do normally process your application in 20-30 mins (as long as you have all your documents in order).

Finally, please ensure that you have proof of an onward flight out of the PI's when you land. Immigration Officers can/do ask for this information. For your tourist visa extensions, Immigration Offices normally don't ask for this information, though the extension form does ask for it.

Hope this helps.

Getting the extension is easy as many people said, but just a word of caution. Upon check-in, some airliners can give you a hard time when you plan to stay longer than 21 days and you did not apply for an extension visa upfront.

My wife being Filipina, I am entitled to get a balikbayan stamp (1 year stay) in my passport upon arrival when travelling together with her. The airlines have a list with the 'visa-free' period for all countries and they are usually not aware of the exceptions (balikbayan / possibility to extend locally). So when I fly to the Philippines and stay longer than 21 days without visa, they tend to give you a had time.

So though it is very easy to extend your visa locally in the Philippines at any immigration office, just make sure you don't get yourself into trouble at the airport upon departure.

So though it is very easy to extend your visa locally in the Philippines at any immigration office, just make sure you don't get yourself into trouble at the airport upon departure

Most important thing is that you have an onward ticket from the Philippines, as airlines are responsible for you if you don't.

I think you can have a ticket for longer than 21 days without a problem as long as immigration are happy that you will renew your visa as a tourist.

After all, many tourists do come and stay here for 3 months or more.

On departure, as long as your visa is current then you have no problems.

That said, Immigration Officers are human and do understand if circumstances for you being 'an overstayer' are beyond your control.

For example, mechanical breakdowns (happened to us), inclement weather, etc.

There is nothing to be concerned about really as procedures are easy to follow and officials are good.

Most important thing is that you have an onward ticket from the Philippines, as airlines are responsible for you if you don't.

I think you can have a ticket for longer than 21 days without a problem as long as immigration are happy that you will renew your visa as a tourist.

After all, many tourists do come and stay here for 3 months or more.

On departure, as long as your visa is current then you have no problems.

That said, Immigration Officers are human and do understand if circumstances for you being 'an overstayer' are beyond your control.

For example, mechanical breakdowns (happened to us), inclement weather, etc.

There is nothing to be concerned about really as procedures are easy to follow and officials are good.

Can you get the visa at the airport upon entry?

I did inquire once about just paying for the visa upon EXIT. The officer on duty didn't seem to think it would be any problem but he may not have understood what I was asking. I did overstay a 21 day visa by a day once but the examining officer let me off when I feined ignorance. It would have resulted in paying for an extension. Just that paying for the visa upon exit would have resulted in paying less than if I got it here in the States.

Last edited:
I have had to get extensions many times in PI. I have gotten them in Puerto Galera, Boracay, La Union and Im sure there are many other places as well.

Since you are in Santa Rosa, just make a day trip to SF. I got a visa at the consulate there in May, arrive in the morning when they open (9am or something) and your visa is ready by 4 to 5pm. And it's good for 59 days, much easier and cheaper than having to deal with it in PI. PM me if you need more info. The PI consulate is on Post Street or Sutter street (I forgot, just look for the flag outside), just up from Union Square.

Thanks everyone for all the helpful information. You are all a wealth of knowledge.

We ended up going to the Philippine Conulate in SF yesterday, becasue we wanted to make sure it was all taken care of before we got there and we didn't want to waste precious underwater time treking around finding a place to get this done overseas! In any case, we drove to SF and received our extension.

It was easy, arrived with copies of our itinerary, our original passport and 1 copy of it, along with an extra passport photo. The extension was issued the same day and cost us $30 USD each. The only caveot is the extensions is from YESTERDAY, so be careful if you plan on doing this (don't do it very far in advance). We are not leaving the US for another month and this will be OK for us, but if you do it too soon (ie: 2 months before your departure date out of the PI) you may be caught in a bind-it could expire before you plan on leaving the country.

So, as tboxcar said above, if you can take care of this and make the trek to your nearest Philippine consulate! Now it is all taken care of and we can relax :)

Thanks everyone for all the helpful information. You are all a wealth of knowledge.

We ended up going to the Philippine Conulate in SF yesterday, becasue we wanted to make sure it was all taken care of before we got there and we didn't want to waste precious underwater time treking around finding a place to get this done overseas! In any case, we drove to SF and received our extension.QUOTE]

You are lucky to be so close. The Philippines used to have a consulate in Seattle but they closed it years ago. Enjoy your trip.

Getting an extension whilst there can waste time and is a hassle, so best to organise it first. One option is going to the consulate or embassy in ones country with all the prerequsites etc (a process I am familiar with for Schengen and US and now UK Visas, all a right royal pain up the ^&&^$) so can I repeat the question from above: how do you get an extended visa on arrival? Just ask the Immigration people when its your turn, or is there some special process?

I am hoping to spend June / July there, the period of the Fifa 2010 World Cup in SA ( ps nice house for rent for FWC 2010 fans )

make sure you do it in time

I had a lot of hassle to arrange it when I forgot it. At least I thought it was extended. Visa dude in Puerto Galera tried to rip me of big time. He showed me a list with like 30 different costs from which i had to pay like 20. Total of 6k peso

was kinda funny; there was one that said: extending visa after expiring date: costs 450 peso. Than he started pointing to things like 'visa from EU countries' and 'distribution costs DWA- paper' (or whatever) and just kept going.

I told him I didnt have that much so he dropped 1K

Wanted to tell him he could suck my %^& but said; thank you, i prefer staying without a visa, i will arrange it in manila'. Was lucky that a girl who dove with me knew somebody at the visa agency in manila so it was taken care of

bottom line; arrange it in time

There are some parts of the SF Bay area, where I think I'm in the Philippines, except for the weather, and I can make a pretty good 'kinilaw' as well:wink:

Back
Top Bottom