Extend Air

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Diver Mike

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Just a quick question.

Did anyone that attended DEMA notice if Extend Air has finally completed" certification" and has extended the "scrubber time" for the unit past two hours. They have been going to do this for over 15 months and I was just wondering if they have gotten it done yet?

Thanks,

Yepp. Me. Here.

Lab test rating for Dolphin and Azi:
40 RMV, 1.35 L/min CO2 injection, 1ata, 13 degrees C (that's 55.4 degrees F) the graph shows 0.5% CO2 concentration at about 210 minutes. "Actual use will vary according to condition on every dive."

The upcoming DiveRite CCR will use it and will have a 3 hour rating I was assured.

They also supply small cartridges for DAN's new REMO (Remote Emergency Medical Oxygen) unit, a rebreathing oxygen extender for use in remote locations. Especially for that sort of application the cartridges are perfect.

I'm working on a report of the show that will cover the rebreather aspects of it. :wink:

Stefan

caveseeker7:
Yepp. Me. Here.
The upcoming DiveRite CCR will use it and will have a 3 hour rating I was assured.
Stefan

The DiveRite are making CCRs ?????????
do u have more info ............

wazza:
The DiveRite are making CCRs ?????????
do u have more info ............

Yes diverite will be selling a CCR, they are using some existing technology as well by using extendair scrubber cartridges AND hammerhead electronics from juergensen marine.

I got to see the sensor head/scrubber several months ago at juergensen marine.. I think its well laid out.

caveseeker7:
Yepp. Me. Here.

Lab test rating for Dolphin and Azi:
40 RMV, 1.35 L/min CO2 injection, 1ata, 13 degrees C (that's 55.4 degrees F) the graph shows 0.5% CO2 concentration at about 210 minutes. "Actual use will vary according to condition on every dive."

They also supply small cartridges for DAN's new REMO (Remote Emergency Medical Oxygen) unit, a rebreathing oxygen extender for use in remote locations. Especially for that sort of application the cartridges are perfect.

I'm working on a report of the show that will cover the rebreather aspects of it. :wink:

Stefan

Stefan,

Thanks, as usual you are a wealth of knowledge. I am thinking about using this scrubber as I convert my Dolphin to CCR.

I will look forward to your report.

Mike...

I have been using the first cartridge on my Dolphin over the past week. I love it. Cuts down on setup time a little. Breathing seems easier. I have put over 140 minutes on that first cartridge so far. I was told at the ExtendAir booth that a cartridge should last 3 hours with heavy work, 4 hours for light work.

With a four hour usage time then this becomes a bit more cost effective for the average user.

I noticed in your post you said so far. Have you left it in the RB for a period of time and then reused? If so what has that been like? If that is something you can do then this becomes even more of an option.

Thanks for your response.

Mike...

The rating I gave earlier was from their DEMA flyer.

It never fails to amaze me when they tell people four hours duration, but refuse to put it into print.

While 1.35 ltr/min CO2 is a pretty decent number for testing (you won't be able to sustain it for either 3 or 4 hrs - but can spike short term to around 2ltr/min), the tests were run at a low for testing 13 degrees C (normal is 4 to 5 degrees C - out here in SoCal temps go into the 40s during winter).
Worse yet, they were run at 1 ata, which is considerably less than what you have during the dive ... even more so in a CCR like the Inspiration and DiveRite, which many people buy to keep trimix cost down.

As both temperature and ambient pressure figure into the duration calculation I'd be carefull about pushing 4 hrs.

Back
Top Bottom