extend air CO2 absorbant

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Are they better than the regular scrubber material and are they cost efficient? I have a dolphin

They have a number of advantages over standard medium, ease of use you just drop the cartridge into the scrubber and you're done, no chance of channeling. Because of the way the calcium is suspended in the extrusion you get less dust so less chance of a caustic cocktail, they are recoverable in the event of a flooded loop, extended duration, (this is still in the testing process), faster reaction time. Price wise you're looking at about 25% above granules.

On my dolphin, the duration of a canister will give me 3 to 4 hours of dive time. What is the duration of one filter. I know that water temp. and workload will be a factor. If this helps, I dive in the NW,, water temp will be around 50 degrees.
Thanks

The test results have not been published just yet but with the "extended" cartridge you are looking at an easy 4+ hours, a test diver has been getting substantially longer dives in the Philipines, liability is a major issue in all the claims made on duration wether it be granules or cartridges as there are many variables between conditions and divers it is extremely difficult to say definitively what the duration is. ExtendAir will be producing graphs which show duration under varying conditions in the very near future.

One other benefit which I didn't mention when I replied to Jonothan is the marked improvement in the WOB.

I found this on the extendair website:

Do I have to be trained to use an ExtendAir Adsorbent Cartridge?

Yes. Training is included in your rebreather certification course. Already rebreather certified? ExtendAir cartridges training is currently available through IANTD , and will also be available online in the future.

The training is a little overstated it is a simple matter to replace your existing scrubber with the ExtendAir unit, check your o-rings and seals, slide the cartridge in lock the canister lid and you are ready to dive. You do not need to do any kind of certification or pay for a course to use the cartridge. You do need to be certified on the rebreather you are using and we do require that all users sign a waiver, again SOP for anything to do with RB diving.

Chris

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom