• Bathing Suit

Votes: 5 16.7%
  • 3MM Shorty

Votes: 9 30.0%
  • 5MM Full (No Hood)

Votes: 9 30.0%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Exposure protection in the Keys???

Sun glasses and LOTS of suntan lotion for all OW diving experiences.

For wreck diving, I would reccomend a skin or a thin full suit (ask Walter).

When are you going down there? I'm diving with 3 others on 5/20 using Rainbow Reef Divers on Islamardo.

jagercola:
What do you guys think is more appropriate for Islamorada / Key Largo in Mid May?

I own:
Birthday Suit
Bathing Suit
3MM Shorty
5MM Full

Also, how are the jellyfish down there?

Largo and Islamorada water temps are hanging around 75 degrees now.

hey uh Dragracer. I am teaching at Rainbow. We are looking forward to diving with you. Well, uh maybe. Your avitar is making all of us a little concerned. It's not really of picture of you and if so, ya really wouldn't do the dives in the B-day suit. Would ya??

But understand, all of us down here agree that your avitar is most cool. BEST one we have seen.

I would go for the 5MM Full and would up the ante with a 7mm Hood. But then again, I live in S. Florida and I still consider the month of May to be winter. I am typically o.k. on the first 'deep' dive of the day but get very chilled by the end of the second dive. I am actually now leaning toward a drysuit...

I am used to diving a 7mil or drysuit in 38-58F water. Last December I took a trip to Key Largo and was quite comfortable in my 3mil shorty, not too hot or too cold. Water temperature were between 70-75F. Best part was not having to wear a hood!!

I was there in March, and water temp was around 73-75 deg. I wore a 3mm fullsuit and beanie, which was fine for the first dive. But way too cold for the subsequent dives of the day.

I only own a 3mm full and 7mm full (VA cold water diving). In retrospect, I should have definitely brought my 7mm. That's why I recommend you bring your 5mm.

No, Mako, that's not me! Although it'd be close, I tend to wear more clothes, and it has better rhythm than me. we're still counting the days till the 20th. How's the vis been on Alligator Reef?

MakoSince70:
hey uh Dragracer. I am teaching at Rainbow. We are looking forward to diving with you. Well, uh maybe. Your avitar is making all of us a little concerned. It's not really of picture of you and if so, ya really wouldn't do the dives in the B-day suit. Would ya??
But understand, all of us down here agree that your avitar is most cool. BEST one we have seen.

Dragracer,
Looking forward to meeting around the 20th. Since you are asking about Alligator, you must be diving from our Islamorada location.
Visibility comes and goes. Goes mostly when the wind kicks up the waves and the waves stir the bottom. It has been a little windy the last few days. However on calmer days, divers have been reporting up to 80 ft on Alligator.

See ya in a few days

Bill

Im in key largo the first week of July and hoping my 3mm full length suit will be ok.

Still no idea who to dive with though. So many operators that all look the same!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom