• Bathing Suit

Votes: 5 16.7%
  • 3MM Shorty

Votes: 9 30.0%
  • 5MM Full (No Hood)

Votes: 9 30.0%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jagercola

Reaction score
What do you guys think is more appropriate for Islamorada / Key Largo in Mid May?

I own:
Birthday Suit
Bathing Suit
3MM Shorty
5MM Full

Also, how are the jellyfish down there?

you didn't list my choice as an option:

full-body skin and bottom of a 3 mil farmer john

as to the jellyfish, i guess it depends on the season. i've been there a lot of
times and never had a problem

given your choices, probably the 3 mil shorty, but i would suggest buying
a skin to give your legs some protection

I recommended the 5mm. There was not enough information provided in your profile for me to feel good about the Birthday suit selection. If, however you happen to be a hot chick, I retract the 5mm response and implore you to go with the birthday suit selection and to maybe explore Boynton Beach as an alternative to the Keys. We need more naked hot chicks diving here.

Scubakevdm:
If, however you happen to be a hot chick, I retract the 5mm response and implore you to go with the birthday suit selection and to maybe explore Boynton Beach as an alternative to the Keys.

this man is a genius

I did four dives in Key Largo yesterday (5/8/05).

Everyone wore at least a 3mm. I was almost chilly below 100 ft. Two of the six of us got hit with sea lice around the face and neck.

So to answer your question:

1. Wear at least a 3mm.
2. Jellies are around.

The amount of exposure protection required is an intensely personal thing. Every one has a different tolerance for cold.

For ME, I use a .5MM full suit (1/2 MM) when the temps are above 73 degrees. I use a 3MM full suit when it drops below 74 degrees. YMMV. Each diver needs to figure out what protection is needed for what temps for themselves.

Based on the limitations of what you currently own, I would suggest the 3MM shorty if you have decent bouyancy control (so that you can avoid contacting things around you). I would recommend the 5MM full suit if you have a history of brushing against things or if you get chilled easily or if you sunburn easily, or if there are a lot of nasties in the water.

Yes, one of the reasons for my .5MM is that it is sunblock that will not wash off! The Florida sun can be brutal to fair skinned people that aren't protected.

Remember that if you use the 5MM full suit and it is "too warm" you can always open zippers and flush water to minimize the effect. If you get too cold, there are fewer immediate remedies. However, pay attention to how warm you get during the SI.

One other alternative to consider is renting a 3MM full suit from a local (FLA) dive shop.

Just my opinions, and only because you asked.

Wristshot

jagercola:
What do you guys think is more appropriate for Islamorada / Key Largo in Mid May?

I own:
Birthday Suit
Bathing Suit
3MM Shorty
5MM Full

Also, how are the jellyfish down there?

Just be sure to cover your privates, you don't want anything to be mistaken for a worm.

I dove the Duane and Molasses Reef just a few weeks ago and I was cold in a 3mm with hooded vest.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom