Exposure for Caribbean

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There is no way for someone to tell you what exposure suit to wear. Only you know what you should wear, guided by your experience in different water temps. In April the water temp in Grand Cayman will be in the low 80s. I have been on a dive boat in the Caymans (and I've posted this story in what seems to be about 30 other "what exposure suit should I wear" threads) where on the same dive with water temps in the 80s there were people diving in bathing suits, 3mm shorties, 5 mm full (me), and a dry suit! So I guess based on what others wear, you should wear something between nothing and a dry suit. . . .

Ain't that the truth. Realistically, the best that an inexperienced diver can do is ask questions as the OP did and make a judgment call based on whatever prior experiences in water they may have had. Then, on the next trip, make adjustments based on how they felt on the previous trip. It took me a few Caribbean trips to really determine precisely what works best for me in various conditions--season, sun versus drizzle, number of dives per day and days per week on the trip, etc.

FWIW, we were in Bonaire in January. Water temps between 78 - 81 F. I wore a Henderson Hot Skin with a Neo Sport 2mm vest. Very comfortable. Not too floaty. I stayed warm doing 12 dives that week. I've used a 3mm in GC many times. Fine in the water, but too hot while gearing up for shore dives. Same for Cozumel.

PS. Skin + vest is easy and light to pack.

Let me suggest another approach by which we might help you. Give us data from, say, your last 4-6 dives: For each dive, what was the water temp, how long were you in, what did you wear, and how did you feel? Folks with more experience may then help you to extrapolate to water in the low 80s.

Its comparable to asking how much weight should I use. Shouldn't you know at this point? If uncertain bring options and decide whats right after a dive or two.
In Grand Cayman or Bon for anything other than Nov-Jan, I am all for a long sleeve rashguard and maybe a 1 mil hooded vest (bare) or 1.5 mil longsleeve shirt and 1.5 shorts (xspan) The most any time of the year in GC or Bon is a 2 mil shorty. with any combination of a longsleev rashguard/1 mil hooded vest/1.5 mil longsleev and shorts.

The idea of pulling on a full suit in the hot Caribbean sun is not appealing to me and I would be more uncomfortable topside than any comfort it may provide below. Not to mentioned the added weight. Ugh. No thanks. For a Northeast Diver, part of the appeal of diving warm water is diving without all that (full suit and lots of wt).

For years I used a 7mm long sleeved shorty. I then replaced it with a 5mm shorty.

Where did you get a 7mm or 5mm shorty? Or are you talking about a FJ jacket?

Back
Top Bottom