Exploring Lake Texoma

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TwoBitTxn

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I have a pass to go diving Sunday the 14th.

I am planning on starting out at Eisenhower State Park about 9am. I don't plan on getting a boat so it will all be shore diving. I may wander around a little bit checking out a couple other parks. It kinda depends on what's at Eisenhower.

There is a purpose to this trip.

I know this is short notice, but anyone is welcome.

TwoBit

Knowing that Lake Texoma is, quite simply, a dammed portion of the Red River (complete with its huge silt load), all I can say is "good luck!" and I hope you are comfortable with "diving by Braille".

Seriously, I hope the dives go well for you. And who knows? We might all be pleasantly surprised with conditions at some locations. Hope all goes well and we'll look forward to hearing your report. (There are some great fossils in that area, and it would be great if you could actually SEE them underwater.)

Good luck Alan!

My grandfather and great uncles worked on the construction of the dam there and I have flyfished for stripers below it as well. Gotta agree with with Guba's assessment of water quality, though. Sounds like a job for...SUPERTIMELINER!!!

I am Alan....the OP is Tom!! :wink:

So Tom what is the mission behind your 'madness'??

Tom,

Kory says to tell you that he is in! He wants you to call him on his cell phone so you all can work out the details, but he really wants to check out Texoma.

(I can't imagine why)

If you don't still have his cell #, p.m. ME and I'll give it to you. He is getting ready to head out to Murray, so he may not check his pm's, or even get on the computer any time soon.

Rhonda

I appreciate the offer, Tom, but I may be going to a ballgame on Sunday... :wink:

Ya know it's interesting...

I have seen several people post about spearing cats on the Okie side and how the vis is kinda decent for a lake. Travis, CSSP, Athens, The Oasis, PK, Canyon, I have seen extremely low vis in every single one of those spots. My personal worst is a toss up between the Oasis and Athens.

This is directed at the nay sayers...aside from The Oasis, which is closed, you have all dove most of those spots in probably really crappy conditions. I talked to one of the guys at the shop who dove Texoma back in May and said he had 25 foot vis. Again on the Okie side.

Maybe the Texas side sucks because its so close to the river channel. I don't know. I'm going to make a couple trips when the fishing reports in Thursdays Dallas Morning News gives water clarity at least a "fairly clear" rating. I want to know what that means.

Yesterdays report was "fairly clear" with a temp of 74-79. I think I'll bring my 5mm just in case.

I'll post what I find out.

Thanks Rhonda.....Glad I don't need to call Harvey.

TwoBit

I am Alan....the OP is Tom!! :wink:

So Tom what is the mission behind your 'madness'??

Hey its an easy confusion. Were both slender, you're just older... and I'm better lookin.:D:wink:

With Windy Point going to close sometime within the next 5 years or so, I'm looking for a new spot to do advanced so I'm looking for a spot with water over 61 feet and over 55*F at depth.

TwoBit

Who's Harvey??

Anyway, Kory's all excited cause it's so close to us. If there were parts of Texoma to dive in, that would be really cool.

Rhonda:D

You know... I might just be up for some of that crazy stuff myself Tom.
I need a little bit of red to balance out the other mud tones on my gear.
Beside I've always wondered about that place.

I'll shoot you a PM.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom