Explore Shaker Plant, Lake Travis

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Lake Travis Scuba

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
We are exploring the Shaker Plant on Sunday August 9, charter departs at 8:30 am from Windy Point. Go to Welcome to Lake Travis Scuba! Our Business is Taking a Dive to reserve your space.

Check out photos of the Shaker Plant during construction of the dam at Mansfield Dam - a set on Flickr.

Diving with Lake Travis Scuba is easy for you, no parking fee and no park entrance fee. Just make a reservation, meet at Windy point (blue building on your left at the park entrance), the shuttle picks up you and your gear and delivers you to the boat. Load up your gear and go dive. The cart takes you and the gear back to your vehicle, it's that easy.

Departure is 8:30 pm, arrive at the shuttle pick up no later than 8:00 pm.

Weights are available and a cooler of ice is provided for your refreshments.

Dive Safe and often,

Robert Weiss
Lake Travis Scuba
Welcome to Lake Travis Scuba

Last edited:
We had a great dive on the Giant Stride last weekend at the shaker plant that really inspired me find out more about the site. The vis is poor till you hit the wall, where you see the artifacts, and then opens up to around ten feet. A very nice Lake Travis dive, and I doubt whether anyone has fully explored the site. It is huge.

What was the depth?

ok please pardom my stupidity, but what is a shaker plant

What was the depth?

40-60 sixty feet right now. The lake is very low right now and the remnants are are in the best "vis zone" right now (10' give or take)

ok please pardom my stupidity, but what is a shaker plant

The shaker plant was part of the quarry for the construction of the dam. Crush the rock and shake it through screens to separate the different sizes. You send the right size aggregate to the concrete plant and reprocess the rest of it.

When you look at the LCRA's Flickr page, focus on the 5x11 photo. The entire site is hundreds of yards long. What we see today are the timbers close to the limestone cliff.

The shaker plant was part of the quarry for the construction of the dam. Crush the rock and shake it through screens to separate the different sizes. You send the right size aggregate to the concrete plant and reprocess the rest of it.

When you look at the LCRA's Flickr page, focus on the 5x11 photo. The entire site is hundreds of yards long. What we see today are the timbers close to the limestone cliff.

You are quickly becoming the resident expert on Shaker Plant. :brain:

Expert my ass, I am making WAGS about the Shaker Plant right now. I have a feeling for what I saw on the dive and how it relates to the photos.

I can't make this one, but I would be interested in future runs to this site.

Do you just drop anchor on the site or what?

Was wondering how this trip went?

Trip report?

Rhonda

Back
Top Bottom