Expiration of scuba reg technician cert?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

admikar

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I know some reg manufacturers teach courses for reg servicing, so you can keep your equipment in working order by yourself (Deep 6 and HOG, that I know of).
Out of curiosity, how long are those certs valid? Life, two years, five?
I have enrolled on Apeks service course in March, but it is valid for 24 months, after which I need to take UP DATE course or I will loose my cert. Don't think I would forgot something important in that period, but since service kit supply might be problematic, still contemplating is it worth keeping cert valid?

I have enrolled on Apeks service course in March, but it is valid for 24 months, after which I need to take UP DATE course or I will loose my cert.

Just curious, what's the price of the course?

in this country it is usually covered by the dive shops. Aqualung and Scubapro have STRICT policies in place where you can only be certified if you work for an authorized dealer. No consumers allowed, and only the shop can order parts.

Poseidon has a 3 year course available for any diver and allows you to buy parts direct. Poseidons warranty is also 3 years from authorized service, so it will bring regulators back into warranty, not that I have really heard of any issues arising from warranty, but it's a thing. It is $200

HOG and Deep6 have courses that I do not believe expire, but are not required for purchasing of parts, but I believe HOG requires it for purchase of the manuals. Cost is $250-$300 ish. Deep6 is coming out with some spiffy program where I believe you will get free parts kits every other year for life of the regulator if you take the course, so that will make it pay for itself over time, especially if you have a bunch of regs

There is basic, which is 400€ and pro which is 620€. Tools are included, not sure about service kits. Both are valid for 24 months. UP DATE is 140€.
All courses are two day affair, with lunch and hot drinks ea.

in this country it is usually covered by the dive shops. Aqualung and Scubapro have STRICT policies in place where you can only be certified if you work for an authorized dealer. No consumers allowed, and only the shop can order parts.
Here, if it's a busy course, only prerogative is that you belong to a dive shop or a dive club ("seniority list"). If there is room available, anyone can join. LDS will not sell kits if not authorized technician, not sure if you can order parts direct.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom