Experienced shooters: Are you considering moving from strobes to video lights?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I too prefer strobes over video lights -- never really wished to be that self-absorbed prick in a movie theater who was always futzing with his brightly-lit phone and distracting everyone else . . .

I do not see LED video lights replacing a strobe for still photography. Though, technically, there could soon be some switchable LED lights that would emulate an electronic strobe for all but speed and power.

I do not shoot video and I do not look at other diver/people video. A photograph (can) tell a story, a video is boring and reminds me of company that stays around too long. My camera can shoot video but danged if I even know how to enable that function. I think there is a red button I push or something like that :).

there could soon be some switchable LED lights that would emulate an electronic strobe

There already are:

There already are:

My weefine focus light (I forget the model number, runs off a single 18650) offers a flash mode, but it seems pretty weak.

Thanks for your comments folks. To be clear, I didn't mean to suggest I was going to change. I have two sets of Ikelite 160/1s and love them.

I asked because I was just at Browning Wall and it seems half my shots have holes burned though them from someone's video lights!

I was diving in Roatan last week with a friend who picked up a couple of Ikelite 161s used. These replaced a couple of 5K lumen video lights. With a little coaching, he was getting some decent results.

He commented that he was able to sneak up on macro subjects WAY better than he could with the video lights. That wasn't something I'd considered, but it makes sense of course.

And ya, it's a lot better having him in the shot without blazing floods.

I was diving in Roatan last week with a friend who picked up a couple of Ikelite 161s used. These replaced a couple of 5K lumen video lights. With a little coaching, he was getting some decent results.

He commented that he was able to sneak up on macro subjects WAY better than he could with the video lights. That wasn't something I'd considered, but it makes sense of course.

And ya, it's a lot better having him in the shot without blazing floods.
Isn't that precisely what one would expect?

Isn't that precisely what one would expect?
Well ya... I mean, stuff flees from my little aiming light, but I'd never really given it much thought. I may be handsome, but I'm rarely accused of being a deep thinker.. :bounce:

There already are:

I have a pair of Symbiosis SS-2 which have both Video and Strobe lights in one set up, they are quite bulky which means it can be difficult to get in really tight in micro mode however do work well and you can use the light as focus lights and they switch off when the strobe is fired.

Back
Top Bottom