Experienced Only Need Reply

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

well I have to admit I like what Sydney_Diver stated for experence
but there again I want to break this up
for equipment you dive what you feel comfortable in and at what level you comfortable in as far as equipment most will work ok some as stated before works better than others some like wings some dont .
remember two this (advance Buoyancy control ) makes for a better diver how hum lets see dont drag bottom , sturring up bottom , dont slam into bottom ect ect ect
seconed its control of one self and remember your parner too
remember nothing can replace experence but time and dives. many diver starte to go into class's which to be honest they have no bussiness in yet there needs to be a certain level of expertece in first ,or a test and number of dives .
just my in my two cents worth
before most divers take some of these class's this is kinda in two fold one it allows them more experence and making them more comfortable

I couldn't think of a better word and I admit it is not a skill but one thing I do admire in a minority of experienced divers is their modesty.

There are far too many arrogant newly qualified instructors out there who assert that they must know it all. "Its easy look at me, aren't I cool."

So to my mind its not just self-awareness. Diving well is like driving a car (or riding a bicycle). There is only one way to learn any such skill well and that is with practice, practice and more practice with a continuoiusly open mind and a desire to improve- not just blanket experience.

How many drivers consider themselves good safe drivers but have taken to instruction whatsoever since passing their test?

(I have done well over 500 dives but only about 100 in the last year or two since returning to the sport. It was a steep relearning curve!)

Dr Paul Thomas once bubbled...
I couldn't think of a better word and I admit it is not a skill but one thing I do admire in a minority of experienced divers is their modesty.

There are far too many arrogant newly qualified instructors out there who assert that they must know it all. "Its easy look at me, aren't I cool."

Snip

I couldn't agree with you more. Though I lurk on this board quite a bit, I don't usually answer posts like this. There is far too much chest thumping, muscle flexing, and one-upmanship. What do I like to see in other divers? Awe, wonder, and respect of the ocean.

Dive Safe,
Rooster

Not sure I much if any on this thread... I think all of the suggestions have been useful so far.

Ongoing training. One will go backward if they don't train. Training can be taking classes or just a team critequeing each others performance. Like the saying goes "success is a journy not a destination.

NetDoc once bubbled...
Not sure I much if any on this thread... I think all of the suggestions have been useful so far.

amen to that NetDoc, I see no chest thumping here from the posts on this subject, just some similar and a little different opinion that is all good to help Ynot with his question.

I may not be considered an experienced diver by some of you guy's standards,but I did sleep at a Holiday Inn Express last night:D.Sorry could'nt help myself.

I realize that this is a late entry but I went back to the original text to try to give you MHO on your topics. Based on the thread title I will add that I've been in diving since '67 and an instructor since '82 and I have a bunch of dives in various conditions from Iceland to the Red Sea. I do not subscribe to any specific dive cult and any opinions I have as to gear and technique are purely mine based on experience and not clique affiliation.

Here goes:

I think that diving, every kind of diving, boils down to two basic tenants. A diver can determine for him/herself how to best utilize them and if you have a problem utilizing these two tenants then you are still a beginner working on becoming a diver. You will continue to modify and refine these two skills until you are done with your last dive. Those who refuse to work on mastering these two skills will never be divers, just people who use SCUBA gear.

The two skills are Buoyancy Control and Equipment Control.

At the basic level buoyancy control means to be buoyant when you are on the surface and want to be there, negatively buoyant when you want to be on the bottom and neutral while mid water. In refinement it means much more, like instinctively knowing that for salt water you need more weight than fresh and that in current you may need more weight still to overcome the dynamics of moving water, or that you only let out enough air to initiate the descent rather that evacuating the BC that you will just have to refill as you descend. It means being where you want to be when you want to be there and doing it using Archimedes Principal to your advantage.

Equipment control is equally simple at the basic level. Training is part of this because just owning a piece of gear does not mean you can or should use it. If you are on a dive boat, secure / protect your gear, like making sure it is out of path ways, can't wash overboard, tank is secured, weight belt is on the deck and can't fall, etc. In the water it means that it fits correctly and is functional and meets ALL the needs of the dive. Keep all your "dangling" hoses and accessories tucked in so they don't snag or damage anything, a 3 mil suit is not suitable for 40 degree water, a dry suit may not be suitable for equatorial coral reefs. 200 foot dives need additional gear, different mixes and lots of training. Having the gear (and knowledge of how to use it) for the dive is equipment control.

The diver part comes into play in knowing that you do or do not have the equipment (and/or training) to make a specific dive and using that knowledge by not making the dives for which you aren't equipped or qualified and getting the training to do the dives you want to do. I think that when you master a skill it becomes either easy or second nature or both, but either way you will know when you get there.

Knowing where you are with these two concepts and using the wisely is what I admire most in other divers.

The divers i dive with i consider VERY experienced, their boyancy is as if they are laying flat on a table durring any type of equipment managment etc.

so reading all of the post i sort of figured their level of ability is expected more than admired.

so what skill did i admire in them......i think it is humility in their skills. but still their is something that seperates some from others.

I think that it happens when you are sitting in deco and one of your team mates just starts doing his skills, gas shut downs etc, all while demenstrating perfect boyancy control.

some divers just sit their and play games on thier dive computer, but the ones that i admire aree the ones that take it on themselves to maintain thier skill by practicing them every chance they get.

so i guess there are two skills i see as most important to practice

1 - humility
2 - the practice of practicing your skills often

AquaTec you just it right on the head the ones that can do there advance buoyancy control and still do there skills oftain show a degree of profecient in there skills every diver should practice all thee skills regularly the more practiced the more it will be auto in the time you need it .

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom