Experienced diver with newly certified spouse

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My husband and I got certified at the same time, and dive together most of the time. But if he were experienced and I were a newbie, I'd be ticked if on my very first trip he wanted to leave me on my own with some instabuddy or random group. And if he were the newbie, I wouldn't want to leave him on the first trip either. Especially at the beginning of the trip. If later in the week the newbie is comfortable enough to do more challenging dives - which might be something you want to observe for yourself - great. If the newbie decides to take a day off (which could very well happen on a first trip) and doesn't mind if you do your thing, fine. If the newbie decides they're ok with doing different boats sometimes as suggested, fine. Later in the week they might have gotten to know some of the other divers a bit which could help. But I think this first trip in particular, it should be more about the newbie and their preferences. Probably increases your chances of having a built in dive buddy for future trips.

Last edited:
I agree with Ray that diving together is a wonderful experience and will enrich your dive life. I also think choosing the right Dive Master and Dive Shop is wise. We were very fortunate to have friends that live in Coz and and have been diving there for over 20 years. They shared their experience and preference for different dive operations. There are fast boats and slow boats. We like the fast boats and dive with Scuaba Mau. We love their happy, accommodating staff and the wonderful Dive Master Servando Ramirez. Servando has provided us guidance, instruction and friendship. Our dives have always been fun, memorable and safe. I hope that you and your husband have a wonderful vacation and create lifelong Dive memories!

There are no bad dives at Cozumel. I find ways to thoroughly enjoy even the shallowest "baby" dives when I am there. I would never leave my wife ashore to go diving places she couldn't or wouldn't go. DSFDF and YMMV.

That's true Gordon. One of our fun dives last month was in the shallow sandy grassy areas near San Fransisco dive site. We found the star fish my wife had been looking for and all kinds of unique critters that you don't find on the walls. I loved watching her get excited at what we found.

I agree, the "advanced dives" are my least favorite.......would rather do 85 minutes on shallows lol......

I'm so grateful that my wife is also my dive buddy. I think I can speak for her as well, we'd do just about anything to maintain that part of our relationship.

The idea of either of us taking off to do our own dive thing is jaw dropping.

I sure wish that my husband dived. I would happily dive shorter/shallower dives if I could do it with him and then be able to yak about everything we saw/experienced.
When I decided that I wanted to get certified, my wife wasn't so sure she wanted to dive, but she said that there was no way she would wait on shore every time I went out diving to see if I would be coming back. We dive every dive together and have done so for 24 years.

Jealous, my wife has 0 interest lol - heck she falls asleep when I show her dive videos haha! The regulator noise puts her out like a sleep machine haha!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom