Expected Life of BCD

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My Zeagle Ranger lasted 18 dives before self-destructing.

I went BP&W soon after that and the Ranger is now a forgotten pile on the floor.

Man I don't know what you did to destroy your Ranger, but mine has had tons of use in cold water, pool chlorine, and now salt water and tropical sun. I could probably DRIVE over it 18 times and it would be okay. And I traded for this one used! Just for the record I have a bp/wing and there is nothing made any better on it.

Back to the original question, product quality and care make a huge difference. I have seen BC's a couple years old with minimum use look like crap with velcro, zippers, and even plastic tank saddles failing. Good quality stuff (like Zeagle and some others) can last indefinitly.

I would expect at least 500 dives from what I know from others with making sure you clean it. I haven't done that many to test my own out yet though :) So, it will probably last more dives than most people end up doing :)

Get one without velcro. The velcro will be the first thing to go.

I agree there! Velcro is totally unloyal and will "mate" with anything! It will collect debris, and it does wear out.

I have a Scuba Pro Knighthawk with about a 1000 dives mixed up with 70% salt, and 30% fresh water and pools and it's still in great shape. The cumberbum velcro is the only thing starting to really show wear and the unit is faded a lot but otherwise still a great BCD.

My Zeagle Ranger lasted 18 dives before self-destructing.

That pretty clearly deliniates "abuse" from "use" then.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom