Exowear full suit layered with a 3mm wetsuit? As warm as 5mm?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

d^2b

Worse diving through photography
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I am considering picking up a bare exowear full suit (on sale 25% of on the Bare web site). Realizing these things are pretty subjective, if I layer it under my Henderson Thermaxx 3mm full suit, could I expect that to be as warm as a 5mm full suit? How thick are these exowear suits? Do I need much slack in the outer layers.

I can't answer directly, since I'm not familiar with exoware, however, I have layered up wetsuits for warmth. For example, wearing 3mm wet-suit shorts plus a hooded best, under a 5mm, to approximate a 7mm wet-suit.

If the the thickness of the wetsuit or rash-guard is not advertised, it's probably equivalent to a 1mm.

Resurrecting this thread if anyone has experience? Also is the wetsuit difficult to don and doff whilst using Exowear?

While I cannot speak to a 3mil, I am wearing a exo wear full suit under a 5mil with excellent results. With just the 5mil I was comfortable down to about 59F with a hood, layering in the exo wear I am now down to 54F with no issues, if anything it keeps my skin dryer than just the 5mil alone. It also makes donning and doffing the 5mil easier as the shell of the eco wear is a smooth surface. I originally purchased it as a light base or mid layer for a dry suit, but it seems to work just as well with my wetsuit. Hope this helps, I picked it up for around 130, on sale, probably wouldn't have paid full retail for it.

I tried layering when I first started diving, using a ScubaPro wetsuit and Lavacore layers. I didn't like it. I'd rather have one layer of suitable thickness than multiple layers. I think multiple layers for equivalent warmth is simply not as flexible or comfy.

Regardless....

I have a Bare Exowear skin, and a Waterproof Neoskin, and a ScubaPro Pyroflex.

The SP is old. It works, but I just use it for teaching in the pool.

I had the Bare and eventually wanted something different. I used the Bare for a week of liveaboard diving and learned that it's a pain to don when wet. When that fleece interior is damp, or my skin is damp - either way - the fleece does not slide nicely over my skin. With doing 5 dives a day, it was always damp and putting it on and off so much was just annoying.

I got the Waterproof Neoskin and like it much better. Once they are on, I'd say it's six of one, half a dozen of the other. But, the Neoskin seems a fair bit easier to put on, even when me or the suit is damp.

If I were limited to diving in a wetsuit and needed to be warmer than what my wetsuit was giving me, I'd put on a hooded vest over the wetsuit, rather than try to wear a skin under it. I have a Bare Ultrawarmth 5/3 hooded vest and it is great for that. I bought it one size bigger than I would normally wear, so it fits very comfortably over my 5mm wetsuit.

The skins that I have are for diving in warm water. I don't use them as layers with anything else.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom