Exotic Gas Certs: What agencies recognized or not?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Cruisin Home

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
I see a lot of agencies, organizaions, etc. beyond the traditional groups offering"certification" courses of different types (Nitrox...trimix..) . Each group is very different. Some are also online courses.

What is considered recognized, or are they all recognized?

Of course when I started deep penetration diving there were no such courses and we basically learned from others, our mistakes, or invented our own things.

My son now is into diving and wants to proceed to Nitrox. I prefer he do it the educational approach. Which path(s) are recognized?

Any shop can make up whatever rules they wish so you're better off asking the facilities you patronize which agencies/courses they recognize, and if there are any they don't.

Any of the major agencies should be recognized for Nitrox or Trimix.

As someone with >1000 dives, including deep penetration, use your judgement. If a course description doesn't pass your giggle test, direct him elsewhere, regardless of whether the associated card will be recognized.

That said, I'd be surprised to see a PADI/NAUI/SSI/SDI/TDI/IANTD card turned down.

thats my point re these various agencies, sites, etc.. a lot of bad things out there in our industry, who to really trust, I guess I go back to PADI or NAUI.

Funny when it was my life in the 70's 80's never thought anything about it... now with kid it's different

kinda like how we smoked, drove without seatbelts, bicycled without helmets, ate fatty foods.. and didnt feel like it was wrong. Now it's the opposite...lots of stuff out there but who do you trust?

Good thing is he has to pass my cert to ultimately do it!!

I've been asked for a cert card for Nitrox before. Surprisingly, I have never been asked for a card to get trimix.

If you have access to a TDI course, I'd recommend it as being a little more in-depth than some of the others.

Thanks. The TDI does look like a better course than the PADI. I will have to search our area for instructor. Padi lists a minimum age but TDI says nothing re age that I can see. I really want to get my son on nitrox early, safer for recreational diving.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom