Exhaust valve problem

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cummings66

Contributor
Reaction score
I have an Apeks exhaust valve that's doing odd things now. When I first go under I can vent the air out easily, however once at depth and I add air to the suit to offset squeeze I know I'll be running smack into the problem. Upon ascent I can get air to vent out the exhaust, I'll have a nice big bubble there and no matter if I manually press it, close it and open it, the most that happens is a couple trickles of bubbles and then that's it.

This has only recently happened, it used to be fine of course. You can easily blow air through it on the surface, you can feel the pressure change as you vary it from closed to open and depress the valve so it acts fine on top, but once below it seems like it's sticking.

I couldn't find anything wrong with it so I'm curious what you think? I've got another loaner for this weekend so I'm good for now, and I don't mind replacing it if I need to, but what would do this?

Are you wearing some sort of loose fabric that could be getting held against the valve by internal presuure?

Pete

I thought about that, and I suspect it could get against it. I can easily breath through it however, it's fleese. I had a thought of trying my viking undergarment next time on my valve and seeing if it helps, but it's a little cooler.

I'm using an Andy's US35 with one of those Winchester fleese thermal tops. It used to work fine before, but I suppose things do change.

Back
Top Bottom